AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Inauguration of a new Catholic church for the small community of faithful in Herero
Robe (Agenzia Fides) - "We have recently opened a new church in the village of Herero. Two African missionaries of the religious congregation of Apostles of Jesus, who live in Adaba 9 km from Herero are responsible for the community", said to Fides Agency Abbà Angelo Antolini, OFM Cap. Apostolic Prefect of Robe. Herero has a population of six thousand inhabitants, the predominant religion is Islam. The Christian presence is represented by a minority of the Orthodox Church and sporadic chapels of various Protestant denominations. "The Catholic Church - continues Abbà Antolini - is a small community of faithful. Since 2005 a school and a kindergarten have been built, which were then handed over to the Government for the educational needs of the city itself. In 2010, the government helped with the assignment of a new plot of land of 8000 square meters. Now we have been given another piece of land adjacent to the kindergarten, 15 thousand square meters", added the Apostolic Prefect.
The peculiar geographical position, at 2,400 meters above sea level, on a flat plateau, makes the region extremely fertile, with extensive production of cereals. In Herero there is also a big important state farm of 10,000 hectares of cereals and rapeseed oil", concludes the Capuchin missionary. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 11/12/2013)
- 2015-04-24 - The Bishops: "We plead to the human traffickers who are tricking the youth to leave their country through illegal means to stop their acts"
- 2015-04-14 - Easter resurrection and the birth of twins in one of the most forgotten areas in the world
- 2015-03-11 - A primary school for children in Hosanna
- 2015-02-24 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – First step for a representative of the Catholic Church at the African Union
- 2015-01-09 - Cardinal-designate Souraphiel: "I will work for the Church so that it obtains the observer status in the African Union"
- 2014-12-11 - "I saw the urgency of the first evangelization with my own eyes" says a Fidei Donum priest
- 2014-12-02 - A more functional school for 4000 children in one of the poorest regions of the Country
- 2014-08-11 - Blessing of the nutritional and educational center in the Somali region of the Country
- 2014-07-05 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – Healthcare and mobile school services for nomad pastoralists
- 2014-06-27 - Poverty and hunger, the consequences of an unjust economic system