AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Inauguration of a new Catholic church for the small community of faithful in Herero
Robe (Agenzia Fides) - "We have recently opened a new church in the village of Herero. Two African missionaries of the religious congregation of Apostles of Jesus, who live in Adaba 9 km from Herero are responsible for the community", said to Fides Agency Abbà Angelo Antolini, OFM Cap. Apostolic Prefect of Robe. Herero has a population of six thousand inhabitants, the predominant religion is Islam. The Christian presence is represented by a minority of the Orthodox Church and sporadic chapels of various Protestant denominations. "The Catholic Church - continues Abbà Antolini - is a small community of faithful. Since 2005 a school and a kindergarten have been built, which were then handed over to the Government for the educational needs of the city itself. In 2010, the government helped with the assignment of a new plot of land of 8000 square meters. Now we have been given another piece of land adjacent to the kindergarten, 15 thousand square meters", added the Apostolic Prefect.
The peculiar geographical position, at 2,400 meters above sea level, on a flat plateau, makes the region extremely fertile, with extensive production of cereals. In Herero there is also a big important state farm of 10,000 hectares of cereals and rapeseed oil", concludes the Capuchin missionary. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 11/12/2013)
- 2014-03-04 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - The only Catholic presence in the boundless Somali region of Ogaden
- 2013-12-11 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Inauguration of a new Catholic church for the small community of faithful in Herero
- 2013-08-01 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - In the small community of Kofale mission begins thanks to children
- 2013-05-29 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Eritrean refugees protest against the regime in Asmara
- 2013-05-21 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - The "invisible" children of the continent are deprived of their rights
- 2013-04-30 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - The Catholic Church in Ethiopia is a small reality appreciated by all
- 2013-03-22 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Conflicts, floods, migration leading causes of early school drop-out
- 2013-02-13 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - The Apostolic Prefect of Robe to the faithful: "Let us show how much we love and we care about our Mother Church"
- 2013-02-01 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - One of the five countries in the world where there is 50% of maternal mortality
- 2013-01-08 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Orthodox Christmas celebrated in the small community of Adaba