ASIA/BANGLADESH - Among social and political unrest, missionary activity continues
Dinajpur (Agenzia Fides) - "For months, strikes, riots, killings, attacks against party headquarters and Hindu villages have multiplied. The opposition wants to paralyze the country to force the government to amend the electoral law: road blocks, train derailments, fires are on the rise. But our activities so far have not been affected directly: all this causes inconveniences, especially when it comes to fulfilling school programs for young people and taking care of the sick". This is what is said in a message sent to Fides by Fr. Franco Cagnasso, PIME missionary in Bangladesh, highlighting how the activities of the missions are preparing for Christmas. We are talking especially about educational activities: "Among these activities - he explains - I recall the first hostel in Tong Khyang Para, where there are about 100 boys and girls who have the desire to study and commit themselves toward the marginalized and dispersed.
"Even the girls of the Santal Hostel - he continues - are about to take their exams. With them, we help, other 270 students of various ages, in different places and in different ways".
Another area of commitment, explains Fr. Cagnasso, is that regarding health care: "A recent meeting with the clergy of the Diocese of Rajshahi confirmed to me that the"Sick Service Center" is dear to all. In 2013, more than 4,000 patients, including 400 with tuberculosis, received attention, care, assistance in the year that is coming to an end", concludes Fr. Cagnasso. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 09/12/2013 )
- 2014-02-17 - Jubilee of the mission in Pathorghata, "the port of stones"
- 2014-01-15 - Post- election violence: "Christians are not being targeted", says the Archbishop of Dhaka
- 2014-01-08 - The Archbishop of Dhaka: "Messengers of hope among violence and social confusion"
- 2013-12-21 - The year 2013 full of social conflict and human right abuses
- 2013-12-09 - Among social and political unrest, missionary activity continues
- 2013-11-26 - A new church in Dinajpur, a sign of rebirth at the conclusion of the Year of Faith
- 2013-06-07 - A seminary attacked "for unknown reasons," says the Bishop
- 2013-05-06 - Islamic radicals ravage Dhaka: Archbishop's appeal for peace
- 2013-04-29 - A missionary: "The collapse of the factory brings together the elements of discontent: explosive situation"
- 2013-04-27 - Eight arrests for the collapse of the factory, three Christian girls missing