ASIA/BANGLADESH - Among social and political unrest, missionary activity continues
Dinajpur (Agenzia Fides) - "For months, strikes, riots, killings, attacks against party headquarters and Hindu villages have multiplied. The opposition wants to paralyze the country to force the government to amend the electoral law: road blocks, train derailments, fires are on the rise. But our activities so far have not been affected directly: all this causes inconveniences, especially when it comes to fulfilling school programs for young people and taking care of the sick". This is what is said in a message sent to Fides by Fr. Franco Cagnasso, PIME missionary in Bangladesh, highlighting how the activities of the missions are preparing for Christmas. We are talking especially about educational activities: "Among these activities - he explains - I recall the first hostel in Tong Khyang Para, where there are about 100 boys and girls who have the desire to study and commit themselves toward the marginalized and dispersed.
"Even the girls of the Santal Hostel - he continues - are about to take their exams. With them, we help, other 270 students of various ages, in different places and in different ways".
Another area of commitment, explains Fr. Cagnasso, is that regarding health care: "A recent meeting with the clergy of the Diocese of Rajshahi confirmed to me that the"Sick Service Center" is dear to all. In 2013, more than 4,000 patients, including 400 with tuberculosis, received attention, care, assistance in the year that is coming to an end", concludes Fr. Cagnasso. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 09/12/2013 )
- 2015-11-19 - Missionary wounded, his life is not in danger
- 2015-11-18 - Attack against a PIME missionary
- 2015-11-06 - ASIA/BANGLADESH – Necessity to adequately address the reality of climate change
- 2015-09-29 - Murder of an Italian aid worker: the Church asks the government to protect security
- 2015-09-10 - Bishop of Rajshahi welcomes Cardinal Filoni: "Communities in jubilation during the Jubilee"
- 2015-09-09 - Pastoral Letter of the Bishop of Rajshahi: "A Jubilee of blessing"
- 2015-09-08 - Cardinal Filoni in Rajshahi for the XXV of the diocese: a Church in mission among the adivasis
- 2015-08-27 - ASIA/BANGLADESH – Blogger killings: religious minorities are even in danger
- 2015-08-06 - Child labor: illegal but cheap in a Country with 8 million working children
- 2015-07-09 - Risking their lives to escape poverty