AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Citizens outraged by politicians, the Bishops denounce corruption
Caacupé (Agenzia Fides) - "Many people do not respect the Constitution, laws or regulations, starting from State authorities that should set an example of transparency, truth and justice", denounced the coadjutor Archbishop of Asuncion (Paraguay), Mgr. Edmundo Ponziano Valenzuela Mellid, S.D.B., on the last day of the feast of Our Lady of Caacupé.
During the novena of Our Lady of Caacupé, the various Bishops focused their homilies on the misdeeds committed by the political class, brought to light by the recent scandals that caused the indignation of citizens due to cases of nepotism, corruption and fraud carried out by authorities (see Fides 03/12/2013).
Archbishop Valenzuela not only criticized politicians but also Catholic schools, stating that "religious education in Paraguay is still very superficial". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/12/2013)
- 2014-10-06 - Thousands of children abused and forced to live on the street
- 2014-09-29 - The natives are victims of poverty and racism
- 2014-09-15 - “Terrorism can never be combatted with terrorism”; local Catholic church denounces military violence
- 2014-07-28 - Thousands of children displaced due to the floods
- 2014-06-04 - Tension among the population of Ñacunday and Saint Lucia
- 2014-05-27 - Isolated due to the rain and without the aid of the authorities, "but we are also Paraguayans", cries the Vicar Apostolic of Chaco Paraguayo
- 2014-04-10 - A march for the freedom of 5 peasants on hunger strike, accused of the Curuguaty massacre
- 2014-03-27 - General strike in the country; the Church supports those demanding justice and social solidarity
- 2014-03-07 - Dialogue between the Church and civil authorities on the problems regarding the population
- 2014-03-06 - The Church calls for "fair justice"