AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Citizens outraged by politicians, the Bishops denounce corruption
Caacupé (Agenzia Fides) - "Many people do not respect the Constitution, laws or regulations, starting from State authorities that should set an example of transparency, truth and justice", denounced the coadjutor Archbishop of Asuncion (Paraguay), Mgr. Edmundo Ponziano Valenzuela Mellid, S.D.B., on the last day of the feast of Our Lady of Caacupé.
During the novena of Our Lady of Caacupé, the various Bishops focused their homilies on the misdeeds committed by the political class, brought to light by the recent scandals that caused the indignation of citizens due to cases of nepotism, corruption and fraud carried out by authorities (see Fides 03/12/2013).
Archbishop Valenzuela not only criticized politicians but also Catholic schools, stating that "religious education in Paraguay is still very superficial". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/12/2013)
- 2014-12-09 - On the feast day of Our Lady of Caacupé bishop denounces corruption and drug trafficking
- 2014-12-04 - Paraguayan Missionaries join fellow Paraguayans in Argentina to celebrate Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2014-12-01 - Novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, opportunity to reflect on the rights of the defenseless and the responsibilities of politicians
- 2014-11-25 - The Church is not discouraged because of the drug trade, it will continue to fight for justice and peace
- 2014-11-14 - In defense of family rights: draft law rejected
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' Conference asks to "put a stop to corruption"
- 2014-11-07 - The Bishops in defense of indigenous people appeal to the InterAmerican Commission on Human Rights
- 2014-10-06 - Thousands of children abused and forced to live on the street
- 2014-09-29 - The natives are victims of poverty and racism
- 2014-09-15 - “Terrorism can never be combatted with terrorism”; local Catholic church denounces military violence