AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Citizens outraged by politicians, the Bishops denounce corruption
Caacupé (Agenzia Fides) - "Many people do not respect the Constitution, laws or regulations, starting from State authorities that should set an example of transparency, truth and justice", denounced the coadjutor Archbishop of Asuncion (Paraguay), Mgr. Edmundo Ponziano Valenzuela Mellid, S.D.B., on the last day of the feast of Our Lady of Caacupé.
During the novena of Our Lady of Caacupé, the various Bishops focused their homilies on the misdeeds committed by the political class, brought to light by the recent scandals that caused the indignation of citizens due to cases of nepotism, corruption and fraud carried out by authorities (see Fides 03/12/2013).
Archbishop Valenzuela not only criticized politicians but also Catholic schools, stating that "religious education in Paraguay is still very superficial". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/12/2013)
- 2014-03-07 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Dialogue between the Church and civil authorities on the problems regarding the population
- 2014-03-06 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - The Church calls for "fair justice"
- 2014-02-24 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Campaign to vaccinate children against measles and rubella
- 2014-02-21 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Half a million child laborers, exploited in activities which are dangerous to health and safety
- 2014-01-08 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - A group of religious women involved in the protection of young orphans
- 2013-12-10 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - "The people demand justice": the cry which concludes the feast of Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2013-12-07 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Citizens outraged by politicians, the Bishops denounce corruption
- 2013-10-19 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Children, adolescents and mothers: main victims of dengue
- 2013-08-21 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Condemnation of the Church for the killings in the area of Tacuati, where the army has intervened
- 2013-08-02 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Land to farmers to restore their hope and fight poverty