AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Intense gunfire in Bangui, civilians flee
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Intense gunfire in Bangui, capital of the Central African Republic, on the eve of the vote of the UN Security Council for a resolution that authorizes the intervention of the French and African troops in the Country. "We have received communication from our correspondent in Bangui that at 5 am this morning, the inhabitants were awakened by intense gunfire in the neighborhoods of the north and center of the city", says to Fides Agency Valerie Kaye, a Caritas Internationalis manager.
According to Caritas, 10,000 people have fled the city to escape the fighting, while at the moment we have no information on the number of victims.
The anti Balaka, the self-defense group formed to fight the Seleka rebels, had declared that it intended to take control of Bangui as from December 1. Apparently this militia decided to attack the capital on the eve of the approval of the UN resolution which gives the African Union force in the Central African Republic (MISCA) the mandate to protect civilians, restore order and security, stabilize the Country, and to facilitate the sending of humanitarian aid to the population in need.
Finally, the resolution authorizes French forces in the Country to "take all necessary measures to support MISCA in the execution of its mandate". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/12/2013)
- 2014-10-15 - Contacts with the kidnappers of the Polish missionary
- 2014-10-08 - Despite chaos and violence in Bozoum, schools have reopened and the pastoral year has started
- 2014-10-03 - Caritas France: "The situation is still critical because of violence"
- 2014-10-01 - "The crisis pushes more and more faithful to religious syncretism" denounces Mgr. Nzapalainga
- 2014-09-18 - "He protected the Muslims": the Alison Des Forges Award to a Central African camillian
- 2014-09-16 - “Central African crisis not insuperable” says Archbishop of Bangui
- 2014-08-18 - The Archbishop of Bangui to politicians "stop the suffering of the people as soon as possible"
- 2014-07-17 - Civil society presents a scheme to lead the country out of the crisis
- 2014-07-11 - "Immediate start of the process of disarmament to ensure safety" ask religious leaders and politicians
- 2014-07-09 - 17 people who sought refuge in the area of the Cathedral in Bambari have been killed