AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Bishop of Oberá calls for a referendum on the construction of two hydroelectric dams
Misiones (Agenzia Fides) - The Diocese of Oberá sent an official petition to the local government and the House of Representatives of the Province of Misiones, demanding a referendum on two hydroelectric projects that could damage the coastal populations of the south-east of the province. The Bishop of the diocese, His Exc. Mgr. Damián Santiago Bitar, in the note sent to Fides Agency recalled that the provincial law IV-N.56 imposes a mandatory, binding and irrevocable consultation, upon the completion of hydropower projects and dams.
"We, as a Church, are the voice of the families of our diocese, who are very worried.
The government of Misiones and Corrientes, together with the Brazilian state of Rio Grande do Sul, are planning the construction of two hydroelectric dams on the River Uruguay, in the jurisdiction of Corrientes, in the village of Garabi and in the city of panama (Misiones). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/12/2013)
- 2015-05-28 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Child nutrition, drugs and poverty: meeting of Bishops and authorities of Buenos Aires
- 2015-05-26 - The Church's message for the National holiday: no to hatred, play politics with moral integrity
- 2015-05-20 - Half a million families with serious addictions to alcohol and drugs
- 2015-05-18 - First Report on the scourge of drugs prepared by UCA
- 2015-05-08 - Missionary dimension and social problems: meeting of the clergy of Patagonia
- 2015-05-02 - First parish dedicated to Juan Diego
- 2015-04-08 - "Can one sing the Alleluia in the world we live in?"
- 2015-03-11 - 400 years of evangelization in Posadas: "we share the joy of evangelizing"
- 2015-03-04 - "God did not create borders": for 65 years a Mass for brotherhood between Chile and Argentina
- 2015-02-17 - During Lent let us assess our spirit of mission: message from Archbishop Arancedo