AFRICA/CHAD - Consecration of the cathedral of Mongo
N'Djamena (Agenzia Fides) - "The Christians of the Apostolic Vicariate of Mongo, 500 km from N'Djamena, capital of Chad, experienced a particular ecclesial event: the consecration of the Cathedral of St. Ignatius", writes Fr. Clément Marie Bonou of the Franciscans of Mary Immaculate to Fides Agency.
The Cathedral is located at the foot of the mountain, in a region where 94% are Muslims. The building, which is defined by the Governor of the region, "an architectural jewel" is orthogonal with four apses and can accommodate at least 600 faithful members. The frescoes that adorn the interior walls depict the major Biblical events from the Genesis to Revelation. There are also some images that recall the life of the local Church, in particular, "the witness of Christians during the years of war in Chad, in this area known to be a stronghold of the rebels". Such an intense witness that the Apostolic Vicar of the place, Mgr. Henri Coudrey, defined as "the acts of the apostles of Mongo".
The building was built with stones from the local mountains, but Mgr. Coudrey recalled that the Cathedral is the expression of the testimony of faith of the local Christians, who make up a house of "living stones". The Apostolic Vicar finally thanked the donors who allowed the realization of the place of worship: the Pontifical Mission Societies, Aid to the Church in Need, and some dioceses from abroad. But even the local faithful made their contribution through a special collection. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 04/12/2013)
- 2014-11-18 - A child dies every 20 seconds from preventable and treatable causes
- 2014-05-26 - Thousands of displaced children in the Central African Republic left without education
- 2014-03-27 - "We must choose between corruption and the generosity of the Christian faith": Message for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Pala
- 2014-01-30 - Christians and Muslims pray together for peace in Chad and Central Africa
- 2013-12-04 - Consecration of the cathedral of Mongo
- 2013-11-06 - "A school, a life" thousands of children without education condemned to poverty
- 2013-10-22 - AFRICA/CHAD – 75 years of the presence of the Capuchin Minor Friars in Chad and Central Africa
- 2013-07-19 - Emergency refugees, mostly children orphaned or separated from their parents
- 2013-01-02 - Mgr. Russo can return to Chad and guide the diocese of Doba
- 2012-10-31 - Catholic students ask the authorities to reconsider Mgr. Russo's expulsion