ASIA/IRAQ - Intellectual and political campaign against the exodus of Christians
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) –Non-stop interventions on behalf of intellectuals, journalists and Iraqi politicians mostly of Muslim faith have been launched on the www.ankawa.com website as a contribution to counteract the hemorrhage of Christians fleeing from the ancient Churches present in Iraq. The campaign, as well as providing an opportunity for in-depth historical and sociological phenomenon of the exodus, also gives way to the characters involved to offer concrete solutions on how to address and curb the phenomenon. "Before the U.S. invasion of Iraq", says Nuri al-Hamdan, Christians were more than a million, but now there are about 300 thousand". According to one of the speakers, Professor Mahdi al-Jaber al Mahdi, "what is happening to Christians today is a wake-up call for all those who care about the prosperity of the Country". While the Shiite politician leader Ahmed Chalabi hopes that the next government puts the return of Iraqi Christians who have emigrated abroad as a priority on its agenda. On his behalf, Sheikh Abdul Hussein al-Saadi suggests that the Holy See should intervene in order to urge Christians not to leave their Homeland. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 4/12/2013)
- 2015-07-23 - Also in Kirkuk expropriation of Christian homes
- 2015-07-22 - The government orders the transfer of the military of the Nineveh Plain to Baghdad; Christian politicians protest
- 2015-07-14 - The Chaldean Church of St. Joseph in Mosul transformed into a mosque
- 2015-07-10 - In Baghdad, Christians kidnapped and killed despite the payment of ransom
- 2015-07-03 - The founding conference of the Chaldean League has concluded
- 2015-07-01 - An international conference in Erbil to found the "League of the Chaldeans"
- 2015-06-18 - Chaldean Patriarch sends a message to Muslims for the start of Ramadan
- 2015-06-13 - Thousands of Christian homes taken by deception
- 2015-06-10 - Chaldean Patriarch: a year after the fall of Mosul, only national reconciliation can save the country
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"