ASIA/IRAQ - Intellectual and political campaign against the exodus of Christians
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) –Non-stop interventions on behalf of intellectuals, journalists and Iraqi politicians mostly of Muslim faith have been launched on the www.ankawa.com website as a contribution to counteract the hemorrhage of Christians fleeing from the ancient Churches present in Iraq. The campaign, as well as providing an opportunity for in-depth historical and sociological phenomenon of the exodus, also gives way to the characters involved to offer concrete solutions on how to address and curb the phenomenon. "Before the U.S. invasion of Iraq", says Nuri al-Hamdan, Christians were more than a million, but now there are about 300 thousand". According to one of the speakers, Professor Mahdi al-Jaber al Mahdi, "what is happening to Christians today is a wake-up call for all those who care about the prosperity of the Country". While the Shiite politician leader Ahmed Chalabi hopes that the next government puts the return of Iraqi Christians who have emigrated abroad as a priority on its agenda. On his behalf, Sheikh Abdul Hussein al-Saadi suggests that the Holy See should intervene in order to urge Christians not to leave their Homeland. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 4/12/2013)
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"
- 2015-05-04 - Chaldean Patriarch opens discussion on the draft Constitution for the Iraqi Kurdistan Region
- 2015-05-02 - Military offensive to free the province of Nineveh. Chaldean priest: "Christians want to return to their homes"
- 2015-04-13 - Northern Iraq's displaced get own radio station
- 2015-03-30 - The Chaldean Church participates in the mourning for the death of Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV
- 2015-03-28 - Chaldean Patriarch to the UN: the "Arab Spring" impacted negatively on Christians
- 2015-03-16 - Chaldean Patriarch: a law against preachers who incite violence is needed
- 2015-03-12 - The monastery of St. George in Mosul damaged, but not destroyed
- 2015-03-10 - Appeal of the Chaldean Patriarch: the offensive against the Caliphate causes new humanitarian emergencies
- 2015-02-24 - ASIA/IRAQ – Courses to start soon at Erbil Catholic University