ASIA/SYRIA - Patriarch Gregory III: "True martyrs in Maalula"
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - "We are determined to remain in this blessed land even at the cost of martyrdom and martyrdom of blood. This has already happened to some of our faithful, such as the three men from Maalula, Michael Taalab, Antonios Taalab and Sarkis Zakhem. They are true martyrs killed for refusing to renounce their faith": This is what is said in a statement sent to Fides Agency by Gregory III Laham, the Melkite Patriarch of Antioch and all the East, with headquarters in Damascus. The Patriarch expressed strong concern regarding the new invasion of the Christian village of Maalula by armed Islamist groups, who terrorized the population and took hostage 12 Orthodox nuns in the monastery of Santa Tecla.
The Patriarch remembers with joy the recent meeting of the Melkite Church with Pope Francis: "Together with the Holy Father, we invoked the flame of hope so that it would not extinguish in our hearts. Helped and sustained by the Pope’s prayers, concern and prophetic, bold and evangelical initiatives, we wish to stay in this blessed land, cradle of Christianity". The Patriarch asked the Pope to "help the Syrian Christians to remain in the Middle East" and launches an appeal: "We, Christians and Muslims, can and want to stay together, to witness the Gospel and build a new world and a better society and future for our young people.
Gregory III says that in Syria there are 9 million displaced persons. Over 1.2 million Syrians have fled to Lebanon, among them about 42 thousand Christians. Overall there are 450 thousand Christians (of various denominations) who have emigrated abroad. According to figures provided by the Patriarch, among the Syrian Christians there are about 1,200 deaths, including civilians, soldiers, nuns and priests. At least 60 churches have been damaged. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 03/12/2013)
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population
- 2015-06-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – Mass escape from Hassaké, attacked by the jihadists of Daesh. Bishop Audo: "the agenda" of the forces is not clear
- 2015-06-24 - Jihadist attacks in Hassaké. Archbishop Hindo: "they are a sign of weakness and desperation"
- 2015-06-16 - The central districts of Aleppo attacked by rebels
- 2015-06-15 - Patriarchs and Bishops of the Eastern Churches pray together for peace and commemorate the centenary of the "Assyrian Genocide" in Damascus
- 2015-06-12 - President Assad meets the Patriarch and the Synod of Syrian-Orthodox Bishops
- 2015-06-11 - Jihadist militants of al Nusra Front massacre dozens of Druze civilians in Idlib
- 2015-06-09 - The five Patriarchs of Antioch in Damascus: no to the disintegration of Syria
- 2015-06-01 - Muslim leaders for the release of father Murad, but the kidnappers are foreign to the social fabric
- 2015-05-30 - Bishop of Aleppo: unreliable rumors on a jihadist beheaded by an Assyrian soldier. Christians never justify revenge with religious issues