AFRICA - No discrimination of AIDS patients; emphasis on "miraculous" solutions
Monrovia (Agenzia Fides) - A "new generation of churches " that claim to be able to heal or perform miracles is having a damaging effect on Liberia’s progress in fighting HIV/AIDS. This was stated by the Health Ministry official David Logan, according to whom the increase of new generation churches that link their preaching to prevailing local beliefs in healing or miracle cures with the result that people with HIV were not seeking proper medical treatment.
"Unlike traditional Catholic, Lutheran or Episcopalian churches, the new churches claim to be able to give spiritual deliverance, provide healing or perform miracles. This is an attractive option for many people living in an impoverished, post-conflict Liberia" said the Minister to the Thomson Reuters Foundation.
"Transport and opportunity costs as well as the stigma associated with coming out with HIV has meant that patients from outlying communities are more likely to seek help in these nearby local new churches rather than medical centres based in the capital" added the Minister.
In Liberia, which is still recovering from nearly 15 years of civil war, there are about 18,000 people who are in need of anti-retroviral therapy (ART).
The acceptance of people living with HIV and AIDS was the central theme of the message of Caritas Dakar on the occasion of World AIDS Day, which was celebrated yesterday. "People who are living with HIV or affected by AIDS are still subject to prejudice and discrimination", said the statement sent to Fides. "We cannot tolerate these habits that offend people in their human dignity and dissuade them from being subject to check-ups and care".
Caritas Senegal through the diocesan delegation in Dakar has long been engaged in supporting people living with HIV/AIDS. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 02/12/2013)
- 2013-12-02 AFRICA - No discrimination of AIDS patients; emphasis on "miraculous" solutions
- 2013-11-20 AFRICA - Thirty years of the Church’s commitment in Africa against AIDS
- 2013-11-12 AFRICA - Typhoon in the Philippines: solidarity in Africa springs into action
- 2013-10-15 AFRICA - The wishes of the Catholic Church in Africa to the Muslim faithful for the feast of Aid El Adha
- 2013-10-14 AFRICA - The Bishops of North Africa: "Our Countries have also become places of immigration"
- 2013-10-04 AFRICA - Lampedusa : "To fight against traffickers and help migrant Countries" proposes Mgr.Bertin
- 2013-09-06 AFRICA - "Pray for Peace also through social networks" the South African Bishops’ appeal
- 2013-07-09 AFRICA - Appeal for Central Africa by Caritas Africa
- 2013-04-04 AFRICA - Africa among the continents most affected by the scourge of landmines
- 2013-03-27 AFRICA - Crisis in Central Africa repercussions in Chad and South Africa