AFRICA/CAMEROON - The Bishops: "Pray for the release of hostages in the world and in particular for Fr. Vandenbeusch"
Yaounde (Agenzia Fides) - The Episcopal Conference of Cameroon has launched an appeal to the faithful to intensify their prayer for the release of hostages "held around the world", and in particular for Fr. Georges Vandenbeusch, the "Fidei Donum" French priest kidnapped on November 13 in his parish in Nguetchewe, a town in Cameroon which is about twenty kilometers from the border with Nigera (see Fides 14/11/2013).
We have no concrete news about Fr.Vandenbeusch except that the kidnappers are Nigerians, perhaps they belong to members of Boko Haram, and that the priest is held in an unknown location in Nigeria. According to the Cameroonian press the Prefect of the Department of Mayo-Tsanaga has asked for the intervention of the local traditional authorities to try to get in touch with the priest’s kidnappers. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/11/2013)
- 2014-07-16 - Insecurity caused by Boko Haram: The Church promotes a day of prayer
- 2014-06-27 - An alleged kidnapper of the Italian missionaries and Canadian nun has been arrested
- 2014-06-02 - Missionaries released: "A grace of God and a time of joy for the Church", said Cardinal Filoni who met them
- 2014-05-30 - VATICAN – A Church which is dynamic, lively and growing, despite difficulties: Cardinal Filoni meets the Bishops and priests of Cameroon
- 2014-05-30 - VATICAN – A hundred years after the Evangelization of Bamenda: deepen your faith and renew your missionary commitment urges Cardinal Filoni
- 2014-05-27 - 100 years of evangelization in Bamenda: "We aim at the inculturation of faith and human promotion", says the Archbishop
- 2014-05-05 - The Bishops of Cameroon : "We pray for the speedy and unconditional release of the kidnapped missionaries"
- 2014-04-10 - There is growing concern about the influx of refugees from Central Africa
- 2014-04-07 - No contact with the kidnappers, Boko Haram could probably be behind the kidnapping
- 2014-01-03 - Fr. Georges Vandenbeusch welcomed in France by his parishioners