AFRICA/CAMEROON - The Bishops: "Pray for the release of hostages in the world and in particular for Fr. Vandenbeusch"
Yaounde (Agenzia Fides) - The Episcopal Conference of Cameroon has launched an appeal to the faithful to intensify their prayer for the release of hostages "held around the world", and in particular for Fr. Georges Vandenbeusch, the "Fidei Donum" French priest kidnapped on November 13 in his parish in Nguetchewe, a town in Cameroon which is about twenty kilometers from the border with Nigera (see Fides 14/11/2013).
We have no concrete news about Fr.Vandenbeusch except that the kidnappers are Nigerians, perhaps they belong to members of Boko Haram, and that the priest is held in an unknown location in Nigeria. According to the Cameroonian press the Prefect of the Department of Mayo-Tsanaga has asked for the intervention of the local traditional authorities to try to get in touch with the priest’s kidnappers. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/11/2013)
- 2014-04-10 - There is growing concern about the influx of refugees from Central Africa
- 2014-04-07 - No contact with the kidnappers, Boko Haram could probably be behind the kidnapping
- 2014-01-03 - Fr. Georges Vandenbeusch welcomed in France by his parishioners
- 2013-11-28 - The Bishops: "Pray for the release of hostages in the world and in particular for Fr. Vandenbeusch"
- 2013-11-15 - French priest kidnapped by Boko Haram: to Fides the testimony of the previous pastor
- 2013-11-14 - Fidei Donum priest kidnapped
- 2013-04-29 - 3 out of 10 children are likely to die of malaria
- 2012-09-05 - Pan-African Congress of Catholic laity: "Being witnesses of Jesus Christ in Africa Today"
- 2011-10-22 - Paul Biya re-elected President of Cameroon
- 2011-10-10 - Weak participation and murder of two policemen mark the elections