AFRICA/CAMEROON - The Bishops: "Pray for the release of hostages in the world and in particular for Fr. Vandenbeusch"
Yaounde (Agenzia Fides) - The Episcopal Conference of Cameroon has launched an appeal to the faithful to intensify their prayer for the release of hostages "held around the world", and in particular for Fr. Georges Vandenbeusch, the "Fidei Donum" French priest kidnapped on November 13 in his parish in Nguetchewe, a town in Cameroon which is about twenty kilometers from the border with Nigera (see Fides 14/11/2013).
We have no concrete news about Fr.Vandenbeusch except that the kidnappers are Nigerians, perhaps they belong to members of Boko Haram, and that the priest is held in an unknown location in Nigeria. According to the Cameroonian press the Prefect of the Department of Mayo-Tsanaga has asked for the intervention of the local traditional authorities to try to get in touch with the priest’s kidnappers. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/11/2013)
- 2015-07-29 - AFRICA/CAMEROON – For women kamikaze detonators easier to hide
- 2015-07-02 - Floods destroy homes and buildings, there are two thousand displaced
- 2015-06-17 - Women and girls rebel against forced marriage
- 2015-05-20 - Food insecurity in the north of the Country
- 2015-02-23 - Cameroonian press questions French policy to fight Boko Haram
- 2014-10-22 - African Catholic Bishops: "Respect democratic turnover"
- 2014-10-13 - "Only the Church assists victims of Boko Haram in the north of Cameroon," says a missionary
- 2014-09-03 - Humanitarian emergency for more than 30.000 people fleeing Boko Haram
- 2014-07-16 - Insecurity caused by Boko Haram: The Church promotes a day of prayer
- 2014-06-27 - An alleged kidnapper of the Italian missionaries and Canadian nun has been arrested