AFRICA/UGANDA - Sister Nyirumbe, a Ugandan educator who empowers women and a girls who survived brutality at the hands of the LRA, will be recognized with an Honorary doctorate
Kampala (Agenzia Fides) - "Sister Nyirumbe is helping women and girls weave a new beginning through education. Her vision and advocacy for this vulnerable population resonate deeply with the legacy of St Vincent de Paul, who worked on behalf of the poor and marginalized", said the Rev Dennis H Holtschneider, C.M., President of DePaul University in Chicago, the largest Catholic university in the United States.
Sister Rosemary, head of the "Santa Monica" Center revised the teaching program of her institute to meet the growing needs of women, girls and their children who survived kidnappings and rape during decades of civil war in Uganda by the LRA (Lord's Resistance Army).
Thanks to Sister Nyirumbe, women and girls at St Monica’s receive psychological support and literacy training, as well as vocational skills like sewing and planting crops. Since 2002, annual enrollment at St Monica’s has surged from 31 to more than 300, and most leave the school with permanent jobs.
According to reports by the CISA Agency, Sister Rosemary will receive a Doctor of Humane Letters degree during a December 07 ceremony at Tangaza College in Nairobi, Kenya. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 27/11/2013)
- 2014-07-11 - Over 200 religious leaders in Africa discuss Sustainable Development and the Post 2015 Development Agenda
- 2014-07-08 - Dozens killed in clashes in the oil region
- 2014-03-07 - AFRICA/UGANDA – The "miraculous necklaces" made from recycled paper
- 2014-02-07 - AFRICA/UGANDA – Catholic Church launches Uganda Martyrs’ campaign
- 2013-11-27 - Sister Nyirumbe, a Ugandan educator who empowers women and a girls who survived brutality at the hands of the LRA, will be recognized with an Honorary doctorate
- 2013-09-19 - The plight of child soldiers of the Lord's Resistance Army
- 2013-09-18 - New intervention to fight AIDS in the region of Karamoja
- 2013-08-28 - Displaced Congolese: victims of a serious car accident in Uganda
- 2012-12-13 - "We want to preserve the missionary spirit handed down to us by our first evangelizers" says the Bishop of Arua
- 2012-11-22 - 8,900 families severely affected by the floods