ASIA/SYRIA - Pax Christi International: Europe must not close its doors to Syrian refugees
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - Pax Christi International urgently appeals to the government in Damascus and forces involved in the Syrian conflict so that the Country's borders are opened in order to allow humanitarian relief to reach the besieged population in areas ravaged by armed conflict.
In a statement sent to Fides Agency, Pax Christi International welcomes the statement of the "Geneva 2" Peace Conference which will be convened on 22 January, and believes that a negotiated political solution to the conflict is essential and urges the government of Syria and a broadly representative delegation from the Syrian opposition to move swiftly and with good will into that process. In view of Geneva 2, Pax Christi International calls on the urgent need for a ceasefire to ensure humanitarian access to the besieged areas before the negotiations begin.
In the statement, the organization expressed concern over reports of some European Union countries placing barriers to entry or forcibly returning asylum-seekers including people who have fled the conflict in Syria. Pax Christi International calls on all national and international authorities to ensure the Syrians who are fleeing the status of refugees. By placing barriers of any kind to them - warns Pax Christi - forces refugees to undertake dangerous crossings and places them at the mercy of smugglers. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 27/11/2013)
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus
- 2015-04-15 - The Heads of the Christian communities in Aleppo: is it the time of the Resurrection of the Savior or the funeral of his disciples?
- 2015-04-14 - Bombings on Christian neighborhoods in Aleppo, also two young Salesian animators killed
- 2015-04-09 - Caritas operator dies in the bombing in Aleppo
- 2015-04-01 - Idlib in the hands of jihadists. Orthodox priest kidnapped
- 2015-03-24 - The Islamic State shows a video of an Assyrian Christian who "converted" to Islam
- 2015-03-20 - Assyrian Bishop writes to the jihadists: our Church does not identify itself with any armed group
- 2015-03-18 - Catholic Bishops meet in Homs
- 2015-03-18 - Patriarch Gregoire III: "one is inconsiderate to invoke external military interventions to defend Christians in the Middle East"