AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Precarious situation in Central Africa; Paris announces the sending of other 800 soldiers
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Tension in Bangui, capital of the Central African Republic, due to the spreading of rumors on the infiltration in the city of "anti Balaka", self-defense groups created to defend themselves against abuses committed by the former Seleka rebels.
The anti Balaka groups have already clashed with men of Seleka in other areas of the Country, particularly in the nort -west, in the area of Bossangoa, and in the west, in Bouar.
Because of the precarious situation of Central Africa, France has announced that it is preparing to send other 800 soldiers in addition to the 410 French soldiers that ensure the safety of the airport in Bangui .
Their job is to provide support to the African military of MISCA (International Mission of Support for Central Africa)..
The fear of many observers is that Central Africa sinks into a sectarian conflict between Christians and Muslims (Seleka is made up largely of Muslims including foreigners) and that jihadist groups take advantage of the chaos. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/11/2013)
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-03-26 - Caritas Bangui distributes aid to the displaced Muslims in Mbaiki
- 2015-03-03 - Archbishop of Bangui visits two militia leaders in prison
- 2015-02-24 - “Our country can be compared to a desert, where we must combat the temptations of the devil” says Archbishop Nzapalainga
- 2015-02-06 - "The conflict is political not religious" say three participants
- 2015-01-28 - Caritas: more funds needed for refugees from the Central African Republic
- 2015-01-14 - "Signs of hope but still too much violence, also due to the strong movement of weapons", say the Bishops
- 2015-01-13 - The situation is improving, the Bishops launch a campaign for social cohesion
- 2015-01-07 - Archbishop of Bangui threatened with death while bringing assistance to the displaced
- 2014-12-30 - Archbishop of Bangui pays a visit to former Seleka rebels again