AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Precarious situation in Central Africa; Paris announces the sending of other 800 soldiers
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Tension in Bangui, capital of the Central African Republic, due to the spreading of rumors on the infiltration in the city of "anti Balaka", self-defense groups created to defend themselves against abuses committed by the former Seleka rebels.
The anti Balaka groups have already clashed with men of Seleka in other areas of the Country, particularly in the nort -west, in the area of Bossangoa, and in the west, in Bouar.
Because of the precarious situation of Central Africa, France has announced that it is preparing to send other 800 soldiers in addition to the 410 French soldiers that ensure the safety of the airport in Bangui .
Their job is to provide support to the African military of MISCA (International Mission of Support for Central Africa)..
The fear of many observers is that Central Africa sinks into a sectarian conflict between Christians and Muslims (Seleka is made up largely of Muslims including foreigners) and that jihadist groups take advantage of the chaos. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/11/2013)
- 2015-11-23 - The video message from Pope Francis brought to the Muslims by the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-10-28 - Archbishop of Bangui tells Fides that he was not kidnapped during a visit to the Central Mosque
- 2015-10-14 - The PMS invite to "put an end to hostility and bickering" and ask for sanctions and compensation
- 2015-10-01 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – More clashes, but people want the stability of institutions
- 2015-09-29 - Thousands of people find refuge in parishes
- 2015-09-29 - Bangui in chaos: the reconstruction of the accidents, towards an uncertain future
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop of Bangui: "Authority and the international community have to take on their responsibility to stop the violence"
- 2015-08-19 - The 2015 Sergio Vieira de Mello Prize will be awarded to the Interfaith Peace Platform
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Training to counter unemployment: 29 teachers receive diploma
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui