AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Precarious situation in Central Africa; Paris announces the sending of other 800 soldiers
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Tension in Bangui, capital of the Central African Republic, due to the spreading of rumors on the infiltration in the city of "anti Balaka", self-defense groups created to defend themselves against abuses committed by the former Seleka rebels.
The anti Balaka groups have already clashed with men of Seleka in other areas of the Country, particularly in the nort -west, in the area of Bossangoa, and in the west, in Bouar.
Because of the precarious situation of Central Africa, France has announced that it is preparing to send other 800 soldiers in addition to the 410 French soldiers that ensure the safety of the airport in Bangui .
Their job is to provide support to the African military of MISCA (International Mission of Support for Central Africa)..
The fear of many observers is that Central Africa sinks into a sectarian conflict between Christians and Muslims (Seleka is made up largely of Muslims including foreigners) and that jihadist groups take advantage of the chaos. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/11/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "God exists and God knows"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Religious leaders’ appeal: "Do not drag religion into political conflict"
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians and Muslims: the same blood, the same language, the same Country"
- 2014-02-04 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bouar is a bit calmer although there are reprisals against the Muslims"
- 2014-01-27 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Are the Anti Balaka really a "Christian militia"?
- 2014-01-23 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The State has collapsed, UN intervention is needed": appeal of the Archbishop of Bangui and the Imam