AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Violence and Conflicts: Women suffer the most
Medellín (Agenzia Fides) - In Colombia, about 70 % of women suffer all kinds of violence due to ongoing armed conflict, homicides, sexual abuse, torture and rape. On the occasion of the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women, the Spanish Catholic NGO Manos Unidas collected various testimonies of the victims that managed to escape from the FARC and the paramilitary forces and moved to Medellín, a city known for the violence of drug traffickers and juvenile criminal gangs, the so-called 'combos'. Some of the women who are victims of this endless conflict, thanks to the Franciscan Sisters have become part of the foundation of the project "Hope and Life". The Project, which Manos Unidas joined, was born in 2002 to support displaced families from rural and marginalized areas. These depend largely on sporadic income that female-headed households receive from the textile industries. Others live selling products of various kinds on the streets of the city, although this kind of 'work' usually affects very young children, thus being forced to abandon their studies. The Franciscan Sisters of Medellín thought that, in an environment where the textile sector is so predominant, a laboratory would be the best solution to alleviate the poverty of many women of the most marginalized villages. From this idea the first laboratory was born and others have sprung up over the years. "Hope and Life" as well as providing training for the proper functioning of laboratories, provides psychosocial support, an indispensable element so that women are able to overcome the trauma they suffer from violence and conflict. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 25/11/2013)
- 2015-11-24 - Peace process: no need to hasten the signing without verifying the international law
- 2015-11-21 - The Church: need to clarify the referendum to have lasting peace
- 2015-11-19 - "There are connections between the conflicts in the Middle East and environmental issues" says a Jesuit
- 2015-11-16 - Poverty on the rise in Santa Fe and Chapinero: daily wage and lack of retirement among the causes
- 2015-11-12 - Meeting of the Pan-Amazonian Network: necessity to listen to indigenous peoples to protect creation
- 2015-10-20 - Mgr. Castro Quiroga: "The opening of dialogue with ELN is positive news"
- 2015-10-19 - "Pope Francis" food bank for needy families in Villavicencio
- 2015-10-09 - Cardinal Pimiento: "Vote-buying is a crime"
- 2015-10-02 - Become peacemakers: 400 priests offer the opportunity to receive the sacrament of reconciliation
- 2015-09-24 - Colombia towards peace through the path of reconciliation