AMERICA/PANAMA - Religious leaders’ appeal to stop violence against children and adolescents
Colon (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Panama, His Exc. Mgr. José Domingo Ulloa, launched an appeal to the entire population, without distinction of creed, in order to stop violence, ill-treatment and abuse on children and adolescents. The note sent to Fides Agency by the Diocese of Colón-Kuna Yala reports that the highest representative of the Catholic Church in Panama, along with leaders of other religious communities (such as His Holiness Imam Mohammed El- Sayyed, of the Islamic Center of Colon; Bishop Julio Murray, president of the ecumenical Committee and Bishop of the Episcopal Church; Mrs. Aurora Carrasco, of the Baha'i community), urged to recognize the dignity of children and adolescents in the country as a way to protect them against violence.
Religious leaders jointly launched this message to the country, inviting them to make a special prayer during all the religious functions that were celebrated on Sunday, November 24, in order to raise awareness about the importance of caring and protecting children and adolescents.
The main Catholic celebration was presided over by Archbishop Ulloa at the parish of Saint Rita of Cascia and broadcast live on TV across the country . The celebration was attended by delegations of Catholic communities throughout Panama that joined the Day of Prayer for the rights of children. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/11/2013)
- 2014-02-14 AMERICA/PANAMA - Conclusion of the Jubilee for the 500th anniversary of Santa Maria La Antigua, the first Church of the continent
- 2014-01-10 AMERICA/PANAMA - "An inclusive democracy for the dignity of all the people in Panama": the Assembly of Bishops calls on people to vote on May 4
- 2013-11-25 AMERICA/PANAMA - Religious leaders’ appeal to stop violence against children and adolescents
- 2013-10-31 AMERICA/PANAMA - Priest killed in broad daylight in front of the Bishop's house
- 2013-10-24 AMERICA/PANAMA - Education, health care and food for children belonging to poor communities
- 2013-10-16 AMERICA/PANAMA - The Church ready to mediate between the government and doctors on strike
- 2013-10-10 AMERICA/PANAMA – Doctors on strike stop the country, the mediation of the Church is requested
- 2013-09-17 AMERICA/PANAMA - The deaths of poor children are 5 times higher in Latin America than in the rest of the world
- 2013-07-12 AMERICA/PANAMA - "Defender who does not defend", scandal in the country, the Church's intervention
- 2013-03-09 AMERICA/PANAMA - The "Electoral Ethics Pact" promoted by the Church signed by the parties, not by the government