AMERICA/PANAMA - Religious leaders’ appeal to stop violence against children and adolescents
Colon (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Panama, His Exc. Mgr. José Domingo Ulloa, launched an appeal to the entire population, without distinction of creed, in order to stop violence, ill-treatment and abuse on children and adolescents. The note sent to Fides Agency by the Diocese of Colón-Kuna Yala reports that the highest representative of the Catholic Church in Panama, along with leaders of other religious communities (such as His Holiness Imam Mohammed El- Sayyed, of the Islamic Center of Colon; Bishop Julio Murray, president of the ecumenical Committee and Bishop of the Episcopal Church; Mrs. Aurora Carrasco, of the Baha'i community), urged to recognize the dignity of children and adolescents in the country as a way to protect them against violence.
Religious leaders jointly launched this message to the country, inviting them to make a special prayer during all the religious functions that were celebrated on Sunday, November 24, in order to raise awareness about the importance of caring and protecting children and adolescents.
The main Catholic celebration was presided over by Archbishop Ulloa at the parish of Saint Rita of Cascia and broadcast live on TV across the country . The celebration was attended by delegations of Catholic communities throughout Panama that joined the Day of Prayer for the rights of children. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/11/2013)
- 2015-10-13 - 200 children working in the fields have been redeemed
- 2015-10-01 - Mgr. Aguilar: "The government must stop gambling because it impoverishes families"
- 2015-09-07 - Mgr. Ulloa encourages inmates: "Imprisonment is not the same as exclusion"
- 2015-07-07 - Plenary Assembly of Bishops: defense of marriage, family and creation, reconciliation, justice and corruption
- 2015-06-30 - Cardinal Lacunza: "despite scandals and corruption, we have to believe in justice"
- 2015-03-24 - Summit of the Americas: the Vatican Secretary of State will be present, for the first time
- 2015-02-23 - “We must work for the poor”: Cardinal Lacunza says on the feast of Cristo de Atalaya
- 2014-12-19 - Even Cuba will attend the Summit of the Americas: a dream come true
- 2014-12-16 - Last round of by-elections, the local Church sends observers to polling stations
- 2014-08-04 - First Congress on the Family "source of social wealth"