ASIA/TURKEY - Armenian courses for «crypto-Armenians»
Diyarbakir (Agenzia Fides) - The city of the southern province of Dyiarbakir in south-east Turkey, has decided to continue programming Armenian courses aimed in particular at the so-called «crypto-Armenians» to enable them to learn their mother tongue. The courses - organized in collaboration with a Kurdish association and Armenian foundation - have so far issued 67 certificates to Turkish nationals who had belatedly discovered their Armenian origin.
The news of the initiative, publicized by Turkish sources consulted by Fides Agency, raises anew the question of Armenians who converted to Islam to escape persecution and death during the tragic events of 1915. Some of them have kept their Armenian identity.
In several municipalities where Kurdish and Armenian minorities are concentrated, local authorities, with the consent of Ankara, have allowed in recent times to recover some of the Kurd, Armenian or Syrian names that the cities and the streets had in the past. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 22/11/2013)
- 2015-05-08 - Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew convenes the second Summit of Halki on environment
- 2015-05-07 - The demolition of Kamp Armen has started, former Armenian orphanage in Istanbul
- 2015-04-28 - Armenian Catholicos Aram I appeals to the Turkish Constitutional Court for the return of properties to the Catholicosate
- 2015-04-20 - Advisor of the Turkish prime minister who had spoken of the Armenian Genocide has resigned
- 2015-04-16 - ASIA/TURKEY – Even the Armenian Patriarchate of Constantinople will commemorate the victims of the Genocide
- 2015-04-09 - A "hunger strike" to draw attention on the centenary of the Assyrian Genocide
- 2015-03-24 - No ringing of bells for the Armenian churches in the Turkish territory for the hundred years since the Genocide
- 2015-01-30 - Turkish Court orders the return of land to a Christian Foundation
- 2015-01-27 - ASIA/TURKEY – Other three people accused of the massacre of Christians in Malatya have been released from prison
- 2015-01-19 - For Armenians: Erdogan's invitation to President Sarkysian for the centenary of the battle of Gallipoli is a provocation