AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Genocide is probably exaggerated, but anything could happen", says a missionary
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "The term is probably exaggerated, but it is true that tension is so high that no one knows how the situation will evolve", says to Fides Fr .Aurelio Gazzera, a Carmelite who works in Bozoum in the Central African Republic, commenting on the statement made today by the French Minister of Foreign Affairs Laurent Fabius according to whom "Central Africa is on the brink of a genocide".
"Tension is undoubtedly very high, especially in the capital Bangui, where -says Fr. Aurelio – for almost three weeks shootings, murders, clashes of various kinds have occured every day, in a different neighborhood. I have recently returned from Bangui and the general feeling is that an external intervention is being prepared that is putting into crisis those belonging to Seleka". French military sources say that a ship of the Marine Nationale is sailing to the port of Douala (Cameroon) carrying reinforcements for the French troops already deployed in Central Africa. In addition, the United States have declared their readiness to support UN sanctions against those who were responsible for crimes against civilians in the Central African Republic and announced the allocation of $ 40 million in favor of the African peacekeeping force sent to the Country.
"In Bozoum the situation is slightly better but tension remains high because anti Balaka militia attacks (who are fighting against Seleka former rebels who took power in March) are feared. In addition, the men of Seleka appear very agitated", added the missionary. "We are increasing contacts with Muslims to try to avoid accidents among the different components of the local population", concludes Fr. Aurelio. (LM) (Agenzia Fides 21/11/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "God exists and God knows"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Religious leaders’ appeal: "Do not drag religion into political conflict"
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians and Muslims: the same blood, the same language, the same Country"
- 2014-02-04 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bouar is a bit calmer although there are reprisals against the Muslims"
- 2014-01-27 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Are the Anti Balaka really a "Christian militia"?
- 2014-01-23 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The State has collapsed, UN intervention is needed": appeal of the Archbishop of Bangui and the Imam