AFRICA - Thirty years of the Church’s commitment in Africa against AIDS
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - Thirty years of experience carried out by the volunteers and the various organizations of the Catholic Church in favor of women, men and children affected by the HIV epidemic in Africa have been collected in a book (AIDS 30 Years Down the Line .. . Faith-based Reflections about the Epidemic in Africa) that recounts the successes and struggles in this service. The many stories about the impact of this pandemic in many African countries and the real situations of people and communities have been collected in the text published by Ajan, the network of African Jesuits against AIDS established by the Conference of Major Superiors of Africa and Madagascar (JESAM) in 2002 to coordinate and expand the response of the Society of Jesus to the pandemic. According to information sent to Fides Agency by the General Curia of the Jesuits, this book besides indicating the medical and logistical challenges that continue to plague Africa, focuses on the particular context of the area, steeped in poverty, conflict and inequality, brings out the cultural and ethical issues and highlights the need for a global response. A wide range of contributions by specialists of the social, legal, ethical field, offer large-scale prospects, while community-based successful responses are documented. To request copies of the book contact: firstname.lastname@example.org . (SL) (Agenzia Fides 20/11/2013)
- 2015-01-08 - The Holy See expresses gratitude to local Churches in Africa fighting Ebola
- 2014-12-12 - The anti-terrorism laws cause concern for the respect of human rights and democracy
- 2014-11-29 - Flexibility in health systems and community approach that adapts to the daily realities of HIV-positive people
- 2014-10-10 - The campaign "Let us turn over a new leaf, for democratic change in Africa" has been launched
- 2014-09-25 - Ebola and witchcraft: children accused of causing the spread of the virus
- 2014-06-25 - Ebola in West Africa: massive deployment of resources needed
- 2014-06-23 - "Immigrants are transforming our Church", say the Catholic Bishops of North Africa
- 2014-06-11 - Economics and Finance: Is Africa the continent of the future?
- 2014-04-25 - President of SECAM: "Africans have to rely greatly on their own human material resources"
- 2013-12-02 - No discrimination of AIDS patients; emphasis on "miraculous" solutions