AFRICA/GHANA - " Ghana needs a new evangelization", say the Bishops
Accra (Agenzia Fides) - Ghana needs a "new evangelization" in the light of social changes that the country is facing. This was stated by the Conference of Bishops of Ghana in the statement sent to Fides Agency at the end of the meeting held from 8 to 16 November on the theme "The New Evangelization for the Transmission of the Christian Faith in Ghana".
"Ghana is a peaceful Country, emerging at an economic level, and it is a deeply religious nation" say the Bishops. But in spite of several positive signs (strong participation of the faithful in religious services, prayer moments at a national level, etc. ..) the Bishops recognize the need for a new evangelization "because the social, cultural, economic situation and political life of Ghana is making the profound encounter with Jesus Christ very difficult".
This is demonstrated by the fact that traditional national values are being lost (respect for others, especially for the most vulnerable, contempt for the robbery, etc ...).
The same traditional family is threatened by "patterns of family life that are incompatible with God’s plan and will.
One of the most serious challenges to evangelization is money, that - write the Bishops "has taken the central place of every aspect of our lives. The desire to obtain money immediately and by any means is causing severe social costs and severe suffering to the poor. We note with sadness the growing inequalities in our society fueled by corruption and other forms of lawlessness".
For this reason, particular attention will be given to evangelization in the political field so that the Country's leaders are "men and women of proven integrity animated by a sincere love for the welfare of the people they govern".
The message ends with a strong call to prayer so that the path of evangelization starts off from a personal encounter with the Lord. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/11/2013)
- 2015-05-12 - Appeal from Christian leaders: "Young people, stay in Africa, Europe does not guarantee comforts and pleasures"
- 2015-01-02 - "Corruption and widespread immorality threaten the nation", say the Bishops
- 2014-11-04 - The Bishops: "postpone the African Cup of Nations due to the Ebola situation"
- 2014-09-25 - "A fast-growing Country, where one feels the effects of secularization", says the President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2013-11-19 - " Ghana needs a new evangelization", say the Bishops
- 2013-07-13 - The Right to health care in the Constitution has to be included: the Catholic Campaign
- 2013-02-19 - Africa’s Catholic bishops confirm commitment to promoting human development
- 2012-07-26 - The Church of Ghana express their condolences over the death of President Atta Mills
- 2011-11-15 - "Use oil proceeds for the common good": appeal on behalf of the Bishops of Ghana
- 2011-10-24 - Meeting of the Symposium of Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar (SECAM)