AMERICA/VENEZUELA - No "unclean bread", Bishops' statement on the socio-economic situation
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Venezuelan Episcopal Conference (CEV) issued a statement on November 17 in which it analyzes the economic situation of the country and notes that this "must be addressed first and foremost by public authorities, in accordance with entrepreneurs, traders and institutions.
A climate of trust should be created to allow the reactivation of production and socio-economic growth for the good of the community, especially for the poor and most vulnerable".
The pronouncement of the Bishops follow a series of economic measures taken by the Venezuelan government and the Holy Father’s reflection, who a few days ago spoke about corruption: "Parents who feed their children on “unclean bread”, earned through bribes and corruption, are starving their children of dignity, because dishonest work robs us of our dignity!” (Homily 8 November 2013).
The text reflects on the concern of the clergy and Venezuelan Episcopate, which also warns that the euphoria of a large number of people who "believe that with the purchase of some appliances they solve the big problems that afflict them". The note sent to Fides Agency, reported that in the same statement, the CEV condemns usury, corruption and speculation, whatever their origin, and stressed the "need for a permanent struggle" against these realities, providing its contribution to promote "better relations among different sectors of society". Finally, the declaration calls on Venezuelans to pray for peace and social policy of the country. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/11/2013)
- 2015-06-22 - Hunger strike in 12 states for political prisoners, the Church has been asked to intervene
- 2015-06-19 - "They have our support": Mgr. Conde receives young people on hunger strike and writes to the Pope
- 2015-06-05 - Appeal to the authorities in favor of protesters on hunger strike
- 2015-06-03 - The Church calls on the authorities to respond to the students on hunger strike
- 2015-05-30 - Six young people on hunger strike in a church in Caracas
- 2015-05-19 - Casa-Hogar "Padre Machado" in El Valle occupied with violence for a few hours
- 2015-03-03 - Classes suspended in the University of Tachira, false accusations made against the Catholic University
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations
- 2015-02-24 - Growing tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa denounces murder of 3 students