AMERICA/VENEZUELA - No "unclean bread", Bishops' statement on the socio-economic situation
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Venezuelan Episcopal Conference (CEV) issued a statement on November 17 in which it analyzes the economic situation of the country and notes that this "must be addressed first and foremost by public authorities, in accordance with entrepreneurs, traders and institutions.
A climate of trust should be created to allow the reactivation of production and socio-economic growth for the good of the community, especially for the poor and most vulnerable".
The pronouncement of the Bishops follow a series of economic measures taken by the Venezuelan government and the Holy Father’s reflection, who a few days ago spoke about corruption: "Parents who feed their children on “unclean bread”, earned through bribes and corruption, are starving their children of dignity, because dishonest work robs us of our dignity!” (Homily 8 November 2013).
The text reflects on the concern of the clergy and Venezuelan Episcopate, which also warns that the euphoria of a large number of people who "believe that with the purchase of some appliances they solve the big problems that afflict them". The note sent to Fides Agency, reported that in the same statement, the CEV condemns usury, corruption and speculation, whatever their origin, and stressed the "need for a permanent struggle" against these realities, providing its contribution to promote "better relations among different sectors of society". Finally, the declaration calls on Venezuelans to pray for peace and social policy of the country. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/11/2013)
- 2015-11-26 - Tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa: "State officials must ask for peace"
- 2015-11-23 - With the closure of borders many children are unlikely to make their First Communion
- 2015-11-11 - The Bishops call for elections: "Free vote, essential to strengthen democracy"
- 2015-09-22 - The National Assembly of the PMS: solidarity with our brothers in the East
- 2015-09-18 - The National Assembly of Pastoral Care: Renew enthusiasm in evangelization
- 2015-09-17 - Crisis with Colombia: "Governments have not done their best to solve the crisis", said Mgr. Padron
- 2015-09-07 - Poverty and precariousness force people to seek food in the garbage
- 2015-09-01 - The Bishops on the situation of conflict with Colombia: "Human rights are the same for all"
- 2015-08-12 - No social communications no democracy Bishop Lückert León speaks about the media
- 2015-08-11 - Drugs are lacking in the country, some use those for animals