EUROPE/ITALY - Two centuries after the Reconstitution of the Society, the Jesuits look at the universal mission
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - In 2014 the Jesuits celebrate the second centenary of the Reconstitution of the Society of Jesus, sanctioned by the Papal Bull "sollicitudo omnium ecclesiarum" of Pope Pius VII on August 7, 1814. On the occasion of the memorial, which officially begins on January 3, 2014, the feast of the Holy Name of Jesus, and ends on September 27, the anniversary of the approval of the Society in 1540, the Superior General, Fr. Adolfo Nicolás , S.J. sent a letter to all the Jesuits, sent to Fides Agency, which reminds us that "in many parts of the world in-depth studies, publications, meetings, and academic conferences have been programmed to promote a deeper knowledge and understanding of the complex reality of the Suppression and Restoration of the Society", nevertheless it also asks that "in 2014 the historical study is deepened in the personal and community prayer, in reflection and discernment, "so that the attention is not focused only on the past, but is understood and appreciated "in order to proceed in the future". Among the themes of reflection and study proposed, Fr. Nicolás indicates that of the "Universal mission" with these words: "One of the characteristics of the reconstituted Society was the remarkable spirit and missionary activity. During the generalship of Fr. Roothaan, 19% of the 5,209 members of the Society were operating outside the province in which they had entered. The origins of many provinces of Asia, Africa, America and Australia date back to that period of the reconstituted Society. What could the meaning be for us today of this strong sense of universal mission of the reconstituted Society?". (SL) (Agenzia Fides 15/11/2013)
- 2014-03-07 EUROPE/ITALY - A "Missionary Year": 100 years since the arrival of the first Orionini missionaries in Brazil
- 2014-03-05 EUROPE/ITALY - Father Lazzaro, "discreet martyr of charity"
- 2014-02-03 EUROPE/ITALY - Violence and injustice in the testimonies of the Roman missionaries
- 2013-12-17 EUROPE/ITALY - Immigrant minors: the number of young children has increased tenfold, mostly Syrians fleeing
- 2013-12-03 EUROPE/ITALY – Mgr. Melchior de Marion Brésillac, from India to Africa to carry out "nothing but the will of God"
- 2013-11-26 EUROPE/ITALY - Conclusion of the diocesan phase of the beatification process of Luisa Guidotti Mistrali, missionary doctor, killed in Rhodesia
- 2013-11-22 EUROPE/ITALY - "DROP by DROP": to ensure clean water to children in Rwanda
- 2013-11-21 EUROPE/ITALY - In Rome, a prayer vigil for peace in Syria and the release of the hostages
- 2013-11-20 EUROPE/ITALY - International Children’s day and the World Day of Prayer and Action for Children, and Youth in the World
- 2013-11-15 EUROPE/ITALY - Two centuries after the Reconstitution of the Society, the Jesuits look at the universal mission