ASIA/THAILAND - Children used in boxing combat: a new form of child slavery
Bangkok (Agenzia Fides) - They train 10 hours a day, sleeping under the ring, and weigh just 30 pounds. We are talking about 30,000 small Thai children, only 8 years of age, involved in the illegal boxing fighting with the hope of being able to escape from a minimum of misery and insecurity in which they live. Some succeed, while others are left with irreversible damage in every part of the small little bodies subjected to this violent combat sport. This type of fight attracts a lot of attention and participation of Western tourists who offer money to watch. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 15/11/2013)
- 2014-09-30 - The armed conflicts, which so far have caused 6000 deaths, also involve minors
- 2014-07-01 - Half a century at the service of the Church and of society, and religious institutes look to the future
- 2014-05-23 - After the coup, Bishops and religious leaders become mediators between the warring parties
- 2014-05-20 - Martial law declared: for the Church it is urgent "to open a channel between the parties"
- 2014-01-13 - Tensions and protests in Bangkok, the Church: "May the outcome be peaceful"
- 2013-12-10 - New elections on February 2, but "the situation changes day by day", says the Director of the PMS
- 2013-11-15 - Children used in boxing combat: a new form of child slavery
- 2013-09-24 - A quarter of the Country's provinces are flooded: flood alert
- 2013-02-20 - The next Pope and the hopes of Asia
- 2013-01-03 - Stop the deportation of the Rohingya boat people