AFRICA/CONGO DR - The social market economy at the service of the individual and the community
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - How to ensure that the economy is really an engine for the promotion of individuals and society? This is the theme of the meeting, dedicated to social market economy, held yesterday in Kinshasa, capital of Democratic Republic of the Congo, organized by the Justice and Peace Commission of the Episcopal Conference of Congo (CENCO) and the Konrad Adenauer Foundation. The event was attended by several businessmen, trade unionists and workers of non-governmental organizations.
The issue is particularly felt in the DRC, one of the richest countries in raw materials in the world, but at the same time one of the States with a standard of living which is among the lowest in the world.
The different interventions were then focused on how to overcome this dichotomy national wealth/poverty of the population. One of the prerequisites is transparency in the management of public finances, while other speakers stressed the need to adopt economic policies to encourage the creation of small/medium enterprises and the emergence of a middle class in order to improve working conditions and increase government revenue. Finally, the importance of investing in "human capital" was highlighted. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 14/11/2013)
- 2015-11-27 - The Bishops: "Stop shedding the blood of the Congolese"
- 2015-11-19 - Open discussion on the mission in Africa 50 years after the "Ad Gentes" apostolic decree
- 2015-11-16 - The Bishops: "National dialogue must respect the Constitution"
- 2015-11-05 - Civil society: "There are foreign jihadists in our region despite what the UN says"
- 2015-11-04 - Kidnappings: new plague in North Kivu: more than 600 seizures since the beginning of the year
- 2015-10-30 - Lack of funds put the elections at risk
- 2015-10-22 - Catholic Bishops disassociate from choice of presidency candidate for Independent National Election Commission
- 2015-10-21 - Three years after the disappearance of the three Congolese Assumptionists, no word on their fate
- 2015-10-20 - Religious confessions announce the rapid appointment of the new head of the Electoral Commission
- 2015-10-12 - Concern for the resignation of the President of the Independent Electoral Commission