AFRICA/CONGO DR - The social market economy at the service of the individual and the community
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - How to ensure that the economy is really an engine for the promotion of individuals and society? This is the theme of the meeting, dedicated to social market economy, held yesterday in Kinshasa, capital of Democratic Republic of the Congo, organized by the Justice and Peace Commission of the Episcopal Conference of Congo (CENCO) and the Konrad Adenauer Foundation. The event was attended by several businessmen, trade unionists and workers of non-governmental organizations.
The issue is particularly felt in the DRC, one of the richest countries in raw materials in the world, but at the same time one of the States with a standard of living which is among the lowest in the world.
The different interventions were then focused on how to overcome this dichotomy national wealth/poverty of the population. One of the prerequisites is transparency in the management of public finances, while other speakers stressed the need to adopt economic policies to encourage the creation of small/medium enterprises and the emergence of a middle class in order to improve working conditions and increase government revenue. Finally, the importance of investing in "human capital" was highlighted. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 14/11/2013)
- 2015-06-30 - Bishops denounce insecurity and threats to family
- 2015-06-25 - "We respect the Constitution, no to Kabila’s third term", says civil society in South Kivu
- 2015-06-17 - "One votes on the basis of the existing electoral rolls" says the archdiocese of Kisangani
- 2015-06-12 - The UN representative offers himself as a mediator in the national dialogue
- 2015-06-09 - After the Bishops also civil society denounces the massacres committed by jihadists in Beni, "the world must intervene"
- 2015-06-05 - International ecumenical initiative launched to accompany the 2016 elections
- 2015-06-02 - The Bishops’ request to the President: "A national dialogue in accordance with the Constitution"
- 2015-05-26 - The Bishops denounce: "In eastern Congo three basic training camps for jihadists; but the UN observes without intervening"
- 2015-05-22 - Civil society denounces the ambiguous role of the army in the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2015-05-18 - Prayers and mobilization of the population to demand an end of attacks by Ugandan rebels