AMERICA/HAITI - More than 170 murders and violence continues, we need a plan for disarmament
Port au Prince (Agenzia Fides) - The recent political tensions and the lack of a plan for disarmament in Haiti have facilitated the growth of violence and insecurity (see Fides 09/11/2013 ), facilitating the manipulation of the masses for political reasons, as stated in a report released yesterday, 13 November, by the Episcopal Commission for Justice and Peace.
"There is evidence regarding the distribution of weapons in popular areas for political reasons", reads the report submitted by Rovelson Appolon, a member of the Commission, in which the rise of violent deaths in the Haitian capital is denounced. From July to September 2013, there were 284 cases of violence, including 179 murders (with a firearm) and 53 "targeted" car accidents.
The note sent to Fides reports that the Commission deplores the lack of separation of powers in the institutions "that do not carry out their role well, particularly in the judiciary". In fact, "the majority of judges are appointed incorrectly and many are forced to work by submitting to the political authorities", the report says.
The Episcopal Commission for Justice and Peace, an organization of the Catholic Church, calls on the authorities to take the necessary measures to implement a plan for the disarmament of the population and for safety. The Government has therefore publicly recognized the importance of achieving the 'independence of the judiciary, in order to improve the guarantees the people need in the exercise of justice in the country. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/11/2013)
- 2015-01-19 - New cabinet of Haiti to be sworn in today
- 2015-01-14 - AMERICA/HAITI – Parliament dissolved, demonstrations against President increase
- 2015-01-12 - Agreement between the President and opposition: elections in 2015
- 2015-01-08 - AMERICA/HAITI – 5 years after the earthquake the Catholic Church is helping Haiti to recover
- 2014-12-09 - Foyer Bethlehem: “giving persons with disabilities what nature and human indifference have denied them”
- 2014-12-01 - A Commission to save the country from the crisis
- 2014-11-27 - The Church ready to intervene to ensure the country's political future
- 2014-10-16 - Haiti will ask for an extension to the Dominican Republic to regulate the "sans papiers"
- 2014-09-23 - Social movements denounce the failure of the UN Mission, protests in the streets
- 2014-08-21 - Elections postponed and there is growing uncertainty about the future of the Country