ASIA/IRAQ - Conference on demographic change in areas inhabited by Christians
Erbil (Agenzia Fides) - The first conference, sponsored by the organization "Friends of Bartala" to denounce the process of demographic balance interference in areas where Iraqi native Christian communities of Assyrian, Chaldean and Syriac tradition have historically been concentrated, will be held on 23 and 24 November in Erbil, the capital of Iraqi Kurdistan.
The Association "Friends of Bartala" was established in April 2013 with the intent to develop and propose analysis and initiatives to document and combat long-term processes intended to alter the demographic balance in areas traditionally inhabited by Christian communities, such as the renowned plain of Nineveh. The name of the association refers to the city of Bartala, also known as Bartella, inhabited mostly by Christians and Syrians located 20 kilometers from Mosul, in Nineveh province. More than 130 writers, artists, politicians, journalists and Iraqi Christian and Muslim academics have joined the Association. Professor Kazem Habib is the President of the Organising Committee of the conference, called to ask about the exodus of Christians from a country still torn by explosions of sectarian violence, ten years after the end of Saddam Hussein’s regime. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 14/11/2013)
- 2014-07-22 - Last exodus from Mosul: nearly three thousand Christians
- 2014-07-21 - ASIA/IRAQ – The Syrian Monastery of Mar Behnam in the hands of the militia of the "Islamic Caliphate"
- 2014-07-18 - The last Christian families leave Mosul
- 2014-07-16 - In Mosul, the Islamic Caliphate orders: no aid to Christians and Shiites, while their homes are being expropriated
- 2014-07-15 - Letter from Patriarch Louis Raphael I to Iraqi Parliament: there is no time to waste
- 2014-07-15 - The Chaldean nuns and the children released, "a sign of hope for all"
- 2014-07-09 - ASIA/IRAQ – Safety measures taken for the relics of St. Thomas Mosul
- 2014-07-07 - False news regarding the kidnapping of a priest and a nun in Mosul
- 2014-07-05 - Churches in Kirkuk assist Muslim refugees during Ramadan
- 2014-07-03 - ASIA/IRAQ – Bombings and raids against churches in Mosul for the release of the nuns and orphans