ASIA/IRAQ - Conference on demographic change in areas inhabited by Christians
Erbil (Agenzia Fides) - The first conference, sponsored by the organization "Friends of Bartala" to denounce the process of demographic balance interference in areas where Iraqi native Christian communities of Assyrian, Chaldean and Syriac tradition have historically been concentrated, will be held on 23 and 24 November in Erbil, the capital of Iraqi Kurdistan.
The Association "Friends of Bartala" was established in April 2013 with the intent to develop and propose analysis and initiatives to document and combat long-term processes intended to alter the demographic balance in areas traditionally inhabited by Christian communities, such as the renowned plain of Nineveh. The name of the association refers to the city of Bartala, also known as Bartella, inhabited mostly by Christians and Syrians located 20 kilometers from Mosul, in Nineveh province. More than 130 writers, artists, politicians, journalists and Iraqi Christian and Muslim academics have joined the Association. Professor Kazem Habib is the President of the Organising Committee of the conference, called to ask about the exodus of Christians from a country still torn by explosions of sectarian violence, ten years after the end of Saddam Hussein’s regime. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 14/11/2013)
- 2015-07-03 - The founding conference of the Chaldean League has concluded
- 2015-07-01 - An international conference in Erbil to found the "League of the Chaldeans"
- 2015-06-18 - Chaldean Patriarch sends a message to Muslims for the start of Ramadan
- 2015-06-13 - Thousands of Christian homes taken by deception
- 2015-06-10 - Chaldean Patriarch: a year after the fall of Mosul, only national reconciliation can save the country
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"
- 2015-05-04 - Chaldean Patriarch opens discussion on the draft Constitution for the Iraqi Kurdistan Region
- 2015-05-02 - Military offensive to free the province of Nineveh. Chaldean priest: "Christians want to return to their homes"
- 2015-04-13 - Northern Iraq's displaced get own radio station
- 2015-03-30 - The Chaldean Church participates in the mourning for the death of Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV