ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The efforts of the Guanelliani missionaries in the relief effort for the victims of Typhoon Haiyan
Manila (Agenzia Fides) - Tireless efforts, with the presence of missionaries on site; an extraordinary collection, relaunched in the works present in the world: this is how the missionaries of Opera Don Guanella (Guanelliani) are carrying out possible efforts to assist the victims of Typhoon Haiyan, which devastated the province of Leyte in the central Philippines. As a note by the Curia of Guanellani reports to Fides, an extraordinary collection was launched by the Curia and the Association of Solidarity and International Cooperation Guanellian (ASCI). The initiative can be seen at www.guanellianmultimedia.org and relaunched on social networks such as "Facebook" (Opera Don Guanella News) and "Twitter" (OperadonGuanell). "We are all challenged by this wave of destruction" stresses the note sent to Fides by the Vicar General, Fr. Umberto Brugnoni, " to enlarge the hearts and build bridges of solidarity, as Pope Francis encourages us to do."
"The level of sea water had risen up to fifteen meters and wiped out whole cities, not just homes", said the Superior of the Guanelliana community of Manila, Fr. Charlton Viray Ocampo. "Solid structures such as large churches, hotels, schools and even Tacloban airport were completely destroyed. The province of Leyte is still without electricity. Our confreres and children with disabilities welcomed in a guanellian Center in Samar, less severely affected, are all fine. We will share the aid we receive with Caritas Manila and some religious congregations, present in the disaster area", he explains.
The Guanelliani have been present in the Philippines since 1989. Their Mother House, "Servants of Charity House", is located in the slums of "Tandang Sora", in Manila. The structures of the missionaries of the Opera are serving the poor and marginalized, and especially the disabled. They provide educational assistance, medical care, rehabilitation, nutritional support, social care and education to Christian values. The missionaries are engaged in the catechetical preparation and care of the disabled in many public schools, offering moments of play and prayer, taking care of the relationship with the families. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 14/11/2013)
- 2014-04-08 - The Bishops: "We respect the Supreme Court, we defend life with the right to conscientious objection"
- 2014-04-08 - The Supreme Court: Reproductive Health law is valid, but yes to conscientious objection
- 2014-03-28 - The missionaries: "May the agreement with the rebels of the South bring peace, justice and development"
- 2014-03-25 - Over 7.7 million dollars for aid to victims of the typhoon: The Church guarantees transparency
- 2014-03-21 - ASIA/PHILIPPINES – Award to the Islamic movement for dialogue "Silsilah" in Southern Philippines
- 2014-03-04 - Bishops' message for Lent: "Poverty dehumanizes the country"
- 2014-02-20 - The commitment of the Churches for AIDS patients
- 2014-02-07 - Simple boats transformed into mobile clinics to deliver humanitarian and medical aid
- 2014-01-14 - Thousands of children are ready to go back to school to begin a process of recovery towards normality
- 2014-01-14 - The Superior General OMI: "With Msg. Quevedo, let us look at the Church of the poor"