ASIA/SYRIA - "Ad interim" government of the Syrian opposition: Christians, excluded, protest
Istanbul (Agenzia Fides) - The representatives of the Syriac and Assyrian Christian members of the Syrian National Coalition - the Syrian opposition groups recognized last year as the sole legitimate representative of the Syrian people from different foreign Chancelleries - have signed a statement denouncing the absence of Christian leaders in the "ad interim" government consisting of nine ministers and established yesterday by the Coalition during a meeting in Istanbul. In the long statement, re-launched by Iraqi sources and sent to Fides Agency, the Assyrian and Syrian representatives speak of "deliberate marginalization and exclusion " designed to expel a component from the operational choices" that has given much to the Syrian revolution".
After two days of discussion in Istanbul, the Coalition decided to join the Peace Conference "Geneva 2" sponsored by Russia and the United States. Despite the accolades obtained within the international community, the National Coalition and the Free Syrian Army connected to it appear to be increasingly marginalized in the fight against Assad. The Christian Assyrian and Syriac abbreviation as the Assyrian Demcratic Organization (ADO) represent a small component within the Syrian National Coalition. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 13/11/2013)
- 2015-03-24 - The Islamic State shows a video of an Assyrian Christian who "converted" to Islam
- 2015-03-20 - Assyrian Bishop writes to the jihadists: our Church does not identify itself with any armed group
- 2015-03-18 - Catholic Bishops meet in Homs
- 2015-03-18 - Patriarch Gregoire III: "one is inconsiderate to invoke external military interventions to defend Christians in the Middle East"
- 2015-03-18 - Millions of children deprived of education: schools destroyed or used as shelters for the displaced
- 2015-03-16 - The US "open" up to talks with Assad. Archbishop Hindo: forced choice
- 2015-03-14 - The Jubilee seen from Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: only mercy can save us from hatred and heal wounds
- 2015-03-11 - Uncertainty about the fate of Christians held hostage by jihadists
- 2015-03-05 - The Syrian Parliament commemorates the Armenian Genocide
- 2015-03-04 - The "rebels" say no to truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: powers from outside plan our torture