ASIA/SYRIA - Mortar shells on the center of Damascus: children, civilians and churches affected
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - Mortar shells damaged the Primary Christian School St. John Damascene yesterday in the district of Al-Qassaa in Damascus, killing 5 children and wounding 27 others. Another rocket hit a school bus in Bab Touma, a suburb in Damascus predominantly Christian, injuring 5 students. In the same area, a mortar shell hit St. Cross Church, already hit in past days and another damaged the St. Cyril Church. Three other people were killed by a rocket, always in the center of the capital.
In past days, a rocket had also hit the Apostolic Nunciature, while on Sunday, November 10 a mortar shell had killed a Christian man with his four children.
For days the historical center and the most modern part of the center of Damascus have been the target of a rain of mortar shells by armed rebels nested in the surrounding neighborhoods, occupied by militants. As a priest from Damascus explained to Fides, "neighborhoods are affected indiscriminately, just because they are the areas under the regular army control. And the civilian population pay the price. The suburbs, such as Jaramana, Kassaa, Malki of Damascus are being targeted, that are the most pluralistic, inhabited by people of different ethnicity and religion". In a note sent to Fides, Fr. Gabriel Dawood, a Syriac Orthodox priest of the Cathedral of St. George in Damascus, says that "in our churches we continue to hope and to light candles, praying for all the faithful killed, and for those at risk, especially for the Christian villages threatened by armed gangs". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 12/11/2013)
- 2014-09-24 - Armenian Archbishop of Aleppo: for the people, the perpetrators of the raids are certainly not "liberators"
- 2014-09-22 - The jihadists of the Islamic State destroy the memorial church of the Armenian Genocide in Deir el-Zor
- 2014-09-18 - Children have died due to contaminated measle vaccine
- 2014-09-05 - Armenian Catholic Synod: in agenda Genocide centenary, martyrs’ beatification, situation of Middle East Christians
- 2014-09-03 - Christians in Qamishli collect aid for Yazidis fleeing Iraq
- 2014-08-21 - Mission of the Patriarchs in Iraq. The Chaldean Patriarch: no to sectarian militias
- 2014-07-31 - Aleppo, missile at the Armenian Catholic Church. Three dead
- 2014-07-30 - Pax Christi International: the arms trade fuels the Syrian conflict
- 2014-07-24 - Thousands of children excluded from the vaccination campaign against polio which has resurfaced in the Country
- 2014-07-08 - The government army towards Aleppo. Bishop Audo: we are on edge between hopes and fears, we also lack drinking water