AMERICA/NICARAGUA - The Catholic Church invited to the consultations on the constitutional reform
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - The Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua (CEN) will participate in the consultations on the constitutional reform, announced yesterday, 11 November, by the Secretary General of CEN, Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Managua, Mgr. Silvio José Baez.
Mgr. Baez read a statement during a press conference where he explained that it was Alba Palacios, the first deputy and secretary of the Presidency of Parliament, to formally invite the Bishops to attend the Constitutional Commission. This organization is committed to reforming 39 articles of the Constitution.
The note sent to Fides reports that the Bishops have been invited to the hearing of the Commission on Thursday, November 14th. Mgr. Baez has, however, asked in an official letter sent to Parliament, to postpone the Bishops’ hearing to 21 or to 22 November.
Mgr. Baez explained that the reason for the postponement comes from pastoral duties on behalf of the Bishops. In addition, the Bishop added, it is not easy for some Bishops to come from the most distant places and reflect on such a sensitive issue in little time. "We are talking about the present and the future of the country", said Msg. Baez. Finally, the Bishops wish to develop their official position on the reform of the constitution in their annual Assembly of the Episcopal Conference, to be held from November 18 to 20. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/11/2013)
- 2015-11-18 - Bishops meeting: Bring the Gospel to those who use "the digital world"
- 2015-10-28 - The anti-interoceanic canal march suspended, but the population still opposes
- 2015-10-19 - Mining activity in Rancho Grande is "not feasible": listen to the people and the Church
- 2015-10-12 - The Church ready to mediate in the mine issue, "no one has to die for this"
- 2015-10-08 - Clashes between police and protesters, the Church is the only intermediary
- 2015-10-07 - The support of Cardinal Brenes: "Punish those who exploit the naivety of the poor"
- 2015-09-18 - Bishops of Bluefields: "We cannot share the violence among poor peasants and indigenous"
- 2015-09-14 - Families fleeing and still clashes in Waspam, request of a Truth Commission
- 2015-09-10 - Clashes over land concern the Bishops of Bluefields: "there will be no solution if there is violence"
- 2015-07-16 - Nearly two million Central American children are undernourished