AMERICA/NICARAGUA - The Catholic Church invited to the consultations on the constitutional reform
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - The Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua (CEN) will participate in the consultations on the constitutional reform, announced yesterday, 11 November, by the Secretary General of CEN, Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Managua, Mgr. Silvio José Baez.
Mgr. Baez read a statement during a press conference where he explained that it was Alba Palacios, the first deputy and secretary of the Presidency of Parliament, to formally invite the Bishops to attend the Constitutional Commission. This organization is committed to reforming 39 articles of the Constitution.
The note sent to Fides reports that the Bishops have been invited to the hearing of the Commission on Thursday, November 14th. Mgr. Baez has, however, asked in an official letter sent to Parliament, to postpone the Bishops’ hearing to 21 or to 22 November.
Mgr. Baez explained that the reason for the postponement comes from pastoral duties on behalf of the Bishops. In addition, the Bishop added, it is not easy for some Bishops to come from the most distant places and reflect on such a sensitive issue in little time. "We are talking about the present and the future of the country", said Msg. Baez. Finally, the Bishops wish to develop their official position on the reform of the constitution in their annual Assembly of the Episcopal Conference, to be held from November 18 to 20. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/11/2013)
- 2015-03-27 - Group of Spanish Catholic volunteers give support to Nicaraguan children
- 2015-03-20 - Project which involves women to bring electricity to poor communities
- 2015-03-09 - Lent: journey of liberation to fight indifference and selfishness
- 2015-03-06 - "Facts have to be reported": creation of the Human Rights Commission in Pantasma
- 2015-02-13 - Mgr. Mata: "The government must defend human rights"
- 2015-01-20 - Pastoral letter: "Some people are more interested in profit than man himself"
- 2015-01-13 - Still controversy about the transoceanic canal: the Bishops call for clarity
- 2014-12-10 - Church-Government meeting on the Interoceanic Canal
- 2014-12-05 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Electoral certificate renewal: Bishops speak out
- 2014-11-26 - The Bishops of Central America gather: Communication in the culture of encounter