AMERICA/NICARAGUA - The Catholic Church invited to the consultations on the constitutional reform
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - The Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua (CEN) will participate in the consultations on the constitutional reform, announced yesterday, 11 November, by the Secretary General of CEN, Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Managua, Mgr. Silvio José Baez.
Mgr. Baez read a statement during a press conference where he explained that it was Alba Palacios, the first deputy and secretary of the Presidency of Parliament, to formally invite the Bishops to attend the Constitutional Commission. This organization is committed to reforming 39 articles of the Constitution.
The note sent to Fides reports that the Bishops have been invited to the hearing of the Commission on Thursday, November 14th. Mgr. Baez has, however, asked in an official letter sent to Parliament, to postpone the Bishops’ hearing to 21 or to 22 November.
Mgr. Baez explained that the reason for the postponement comes from pastoral duties on behalf of the Bishops. In addition, the Bishop added, it is not easy for some Bishops to come from the most distant places and reflect on such a sensitive issue in little time. "We are talking about the present and the future of the country", said Msg. Baez. Finally, the Bishops wish to develop their official position on the reform of the constitution in their annual Assembly of the Episcopal Conference, to be held from November 18 to 20. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/11/2013)
- 2014-07-22 - The Archdiocese of Managua condemns the criminal act against innocent civilians on Saturday
- 2014-06-04 - Bishops awaiting the President's reply to the questions posed
- 2014-05-22 - Dialogue between the Church and government begins: "In search of new horizons for a better Nicaragua"
- 2014-05-20 - The Church on the eve of talks with the government: problems are not solved by ignoring them
- 2014-05-14 - Bishops call for three days of prayer for the Church-Government meeting
- 2014-04-08 - Pastor killed: he was "a charismatic, sociable, cheerful priest, he inspired young people to follow Jesus Christ"
- 2014-03-26 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The government of Ortega ready to dialogue with the Church
- 2014-03-20 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Dialogue is closer and closer: President Ortega has received the Bishops’ letter
- 2014-03-18 - Cardinal Brenes: "the Church is ready to dialogue with the President"
- 2014-03-12 - Full availability of Bishops to dialogue with the government on issues of national interest