AFRICA/KENYA - Agreement for the repatriation of one million Somali refugees
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - Kenya and Somalia signed yesterday, Sunday 10 November, an agreement for the return within three years of one million Somali refugees who have found asylum in Kenya.
The agreement was signed for Kenya by the Vice President William Ruto and for Somalia by the Deputy Premier and Minister of Foreign Affairs Fawzia Yusuf Adam. Kenya is committed, together with international institutions, to help refugees integrate into Somali society.
Kenya hosts 610,000 Somali refugees regularly recorded (many of whom are welcomed in the Dadaab refugee camp on the border with Kenya) and more than 500,000 are unregistered. Vice President Ruto said that especially the latter pose serious security problems for the Kenyan society. "It is no tradition for an African Country to complain of its guests, especially those who are in danger", said Ruto . " Even so, the large number of unregistered refugees, as well as the weight of the total of all refugees, has created unprecedented challenges to the security of Kenya". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 11/11/2013)
- 2014-07-23 - Works begin on a new center for disabled children in the village of Kandisi
- 2014-07-18 - The First Lady praised the Church's role in improving the lives of millions of Kenyans
- 2014-07-17 - The army have discovered four fields where the perpetrators of the attacks in the coastal region hide
- 2014-07-15 - The perpetrators of the attacks against some villages on the coast have been identified
- 2014-07-09 - Bishops' appeal: "The media play a pivotal role in the Country"
- 2014-06-26 - The governor of Lamu arrested for the attacks on coastal villages
- 2014-06-24 - Clean water and health care to reduce mortality among the most vulnerable
- 2014-06-24 - Christian leaders: "call off political rallies, demonstrations, one has to work to stop violence"
- 2014-06-18 - "The two assaults committed by Kenyans and foreigners, not by Shabaab", says the Bishop of Malindi
- 2014-06-17 - New assault against a Kenyan village, the commando has probably taken women and children hostage