AFRICA/KENYA - Agreement for the repatriation of one million Somali refugees
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - Kenya and Somalia signed yesterday, Sunday 10 November, an agreement for the return within three years of one million Somali refugees who have found asylum in Kenya.
The agreement was signed for Kenya by the Vice President William Ruto and for Somalia by the Deputy Premier and Minister of Foreign Affairs Fawzia Yusuf Adam. Kenya is committed, together with international institutions, to help refugees integrate into Somali society.
Kenya hosts 610,000 Somali refugees regularly recorded (many of whom are welcomed in the Dadaab refugee camp on the border with Kenya) and more than 500,000 are unregistered. Vice President Ruto said that especially the latter pose serious security problems for the Kenyan society. "It is no tradition for an African Country to complain of its guests, especially those who are in danger", said Ruto . " Even so, the large number of unregistered refugees, as well as the weight of the total of all refugees, has created unprecedented challenges to the security of Kenya". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 11/11/2013)
- 2014-11-24 - Security measures have been intensified in front of churches after the massacre of the bus
- 2014-11-19 - AFRICA/KENYA – Joint tests of Church and State on the tetanus vaccine considered a means of birth control
- 2014-11-11 - The government presents a commission of inquiry on the tetanus vaccination after the protests of the Church
- 2014-11-07 - Bishops reaffirm: "tetanus vaccination is a program of population control in disguise"
- 2014-11-04 - The comfort of the Church for the victims of the attack in the area of Lake Turkana
- 2014-10-17 - The Bishops: "What does the tetanus campaign hide?"
- 2014-09-05 - “Enough violence in northern Kenya!” cry Catholic Bishops
- 2014-09-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – New Rector for St. Matthias Mulumba Major seminary in the diocese of Eldoret
- 2014-09-05 - diocesan Major Seminary in the diocese of Nakuru, appointed.
- 2014-09-04 - AFRICA/KENYA – Rector for St. Thomas Aquinas major seminary in Nairobi appointed