AFRICA/KENYA - Agreement for the repatriation of one million Somali refugees
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - Kenya and Somalia signed yesterday, Sunday 10 November, an agreement for the return within three years of one million Somali refugees who have found asylum in Kenya.
The agreement was signed for Kenya by the Vice President William Ruto and for Somalia by the Deputy Premier and Minister of Foreign Affairs Fawzia Yusuf Adam. Kenya is committed, together with international institutions, to help refugees integrate into Somali society.
Kenya hosts 610,000 Somali refugees regularly recorded (many of whom are welcomed in the Dadaab refugee camp on the border with Kenya) and more than 500,000 are unregistered. Vice President Ruto said that especially the latter pose serious security problems for the Kenyan society. "It is no tradition for an African Country to complain of its guests, especially those who are in danger", said Ruto . " Even so, the large number of unregistered refugees, as well as the weight of the total of all refugees, has created unprecedented challenges to the security of Kenya". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 11/11/2013)
- 2015-11-27 - The greetings of a resident in Kibera to Pope Francis: "I am proud to live in an informal settlement"
- 2015-11-25 - Bishops of Kenya: "everything is ready to welcome Pope Francis"
- 2015-11-24 - AFRICA/KENYA – Nairobi: conference on Land grabbing and just governance organized by African Bishops
- 2015-11-24 - The Bishop of Maralal: "May Pope Francis' message of reconciliation help us to overcome tribal violence"
- 2015-11-21 - AFRICA/KENYA – The children of Holy Childhood will meet the Pope
- 2015-11-09 - The Bishops: "The Pope’s visit invites us to reflect on the values of the nation"
- 2015-11-05 - "Pope Francis' visit is a blessing and an opportunity for Kenyans"
- 2015-11-03 - "Curtain up for the children of the Little Prince": A theater school in the slum in Kibera
- 2015-11-03 - Bishops' new appeal: "Let us join together as a nation on the occasion of Pope Francis' arrival"
- 2015-10-27 - UN programme to combat poverty and marginalisation and guarantee respect for the rights of women and children