ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Typhoon Yolanda aggravates the disastrous situation of 4 million people already affected by the earthquake
Bohol (Agenzia Fides) - The situation of the people of Bohol severely damaged by the 7.2 magnitude earthquake that hit the entire area on October 15 (see Fides 18/10/2013) continues to worsen. As reported to Fides Agency by Dr. Marco Iazzolino, deputy coordinator of the Camillian Task Force (CTF), the same area was hit by a violent typhoon category 5, locally known as Yolanda, involving about 4 million people. It is also the area where Father Aris, coordinator of (CTF) and CTF Philippines intervened to bring relief to earthquake victims. "Yesterday I contacted Aris via SMS who was at the height of the typhoon and required to intensify the efforts of all in order to have resources for our confreres and for the people of Bohol" Iazzolino told Fides. In view of potential flash floods, landslides and storm surges, the government ordered the evacuation of residents of the lower areas, mountainous and coastal areas. Everything is being done to provide food supplies for 84,700 families. The Philippine Red Cross is intervening, trying to assess the damage, bringing water and sanitation, providing emergency services, health care, shelter, food and non-food distribution service. It is expected that on 8 November Yolanda will rage in the Province of Leyte. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 08/11/2013)
- 2015-07-21 - Bishops' Message: "Climate change, a matter of social justice"
- 2015-06-25 - "Laudati Sì" a source of inspiration for dialogue and for the care of creation
- 2015-06-22 - Cardinal Quevedo: "The disarmament of Islamic guerrillas is an important step for peace"
- 2015-06-02 - Message from the "Silsilah" movement: a Ramadan of peace in Mindanao
- 2015-05-26 - Bishops: "Laity and parishes have to act in order to combat modern slavery"
- 2015-05-19 - "Ready to welcome the Rohingya migrants": State and Church agree
- 2015-05-18 - Building peace remembering martyr Claretian Rhoel Gallardo
- 2015-05-13 - Education and aid to the poor at the Luigi Caburlotto school
- 2015-05-13 - The construction of a new shelter for the poor has begun
- 2015-05-08 - The Village of Harmony has been giving an example of "life-in-dialogue" in southern Philippines for 25 years