ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Typhoon Yolanda aggravates the disastrous situation of 4 million people already affected by the earthquake
Bohol (Agenzia Fides) - The situation of the people of Bohol severely damaged by the 7.2 magnitude earthquake that hit the entire area on October 15 (see Fides 18/10/2013) continues to worsen. As reported to Fides Agency by Dr. Marco Iazzolino, deputy coordinator of the Camillian Task Force (CTF), the same area was hit by a violent typhoon category 5, locally known as Yolanda, involving about 4 million people. It is also the area where Father Aris, coordinator of (CTF) and CTF Philippines intervened to bring relief to earthquake victims. "Yesterday I contacted Aris via SMS who was at the height of the typhoon and required to intensify the efforts of all in order to have resources for our confreres and for the people of Bohol" Iazzolino told Fides. In view of potential flash floods, landslides and storm surges, the government ordered the evacuation of residents of the lower areas, mountainous and coastal areas. Everything is being done to provide food supplies for 84,700 families. The Philippine Red Cross is intervening, trying to assess the damage, bringing water and sanitation, providing emergency services, health care, shelter, food and non-food distribution service. It is expected that on 8 November Yolanda will rage in the Province of Leyte. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 08/11/2013)
- 2015-01-20 - Bishops: to put into practice the words of the Pope on the proximity to the poor
- 2015-01-19 - "Year of the poor" and new evangelization: Bishops in assembly after the Pope's visit
- 2015-01-17 - The Pope shows deep compassion for the victims of the Typhoon
- 2015-01-16 - evangelize families: the Pope encourages them to be "living school of the Gospel"
- 2015-01-15 - The Director of the PMS: "The Pope in the Philippines shows us mercy towards the last"
- 2015-01-14 - A missionary, after the bombing in Paris: "Dear Muslim brothers, we mourn with you"
- 2014-12-10 - "Yolanda" survivors now helping "Hagupit" victims
- 2014-12-01 - Compassion but also "no" to corruption: the Church celebrates the Year of the poor
- 2014-11-29 - The Silsilah movement: Advent of solidarity and friendship with Muslims
- 2014-11-27 - Justice for the massacre in Maguindanao: the relatives of the victims write to the Pope