ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Typhoon Yolanda aggravates the disastrous situation of 4 million people already affected by the earthquake
Bohol (Agenzia Fides) - The situation of the people of Bohol severely damaged by the 7.2 magnitude earthquake that hit the entire area on October 15 (see Fides 18/10/2013) continues to worsen. As reported to Fides Agency by Dr. Marco Iazzolino, deputy coordinator of the Camillian Task Force (CTF), the same area was hit by a violent typhoon category 5, locally known as Yolanda, involving about 4 million people. It is also the area where Father Aris, coordinator of (CTF) and CTF Philippines intervened to bring relief to earthquake victims. "Yesterday I contacted Aris via SMS who was at the height of the typhoon and required to intensify the efforts of all in order to have resources for our confreres and for the people of Bohol" Iazzolino told Fides. In view of potential flash floods, landslides and storm surges, the government ordered the evacuation of residents of the lower areas, mountainous and coastal areas. Everything is being done to provide food supplies for 84,700 families. The Philippine Red Cross is intervening, trying to assess the damage, bringing water and sanitation, providing emergency services, health care, shelter, food and non-food distribution service. It is expected that on 8 November Yolanda will rage in the Province of Leyte. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 08/11/2013)
- 2014-04-08 - The Bishops: "We respect the Supreme Court, we defend life with the right to conscientious objection"
- 2014-04-08 - The Supreme Court: Reproductive Health law is valid, but yes to conscientious objection
- 2014-03-28 - The missionaries: "May the agreement with the rebels of the South bring peace, justice and development"
- 2014-03-25 - Over 7.7 million dollars for aid to victims of the typhoon: The Church guarantees transparency
- 2014-03-21 - ASIA/PHILIPPINES – Award to the Islamic movement for dialogue "Silsilah" in Southern Philippines
- 2014-03-04 - Bishops' message for Lent: "Poverty dehumanizes the country"
- 2014-02-20 - The commitment of the Churches for AIDS patients
- 2014-02-07 - Simple boats transformed into mobile clinics to deliver humanitarian and medical aid
- 2014-01-14 - Thousands of children are ready to go back to school to begin a process of recovery towards normality
- 2014-01-14 - The Superior General OMI: "With Msg. Quevedo, let us look at the Church of the poor"