ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Typhoon Yolanda aggravates the disastrous situation of 4 million people already affected by the earthquake
Bohol (Agenzia Fides) - The situation of the people of Bohol severely damaged by the 7.2 magnitude earthquake that hit the entire area on October 15 (see Fides 18/10/2013) continues to worsen. As reported to Fides Agency by Dr. Marco Iazzolino, deputy coordinator of the Camillian Task Force (CTF), the same area was hit by a violent typhoon category 5, locally known as Yolanda, involving about 4 million people. It is also the area where Father Aris, coordinator of (CTF) and CTF Philippines intervened to bring relief to earthquake victims. "Yesterday I contacted Aris via SMS who was at the height of the typhoon and required to intensify the efforts of all in order to have resources for our confreres and for the people of Bohol" Iazzolino told Fides. In view of potential flash floods, landslides and storm surges, the government ordered the evacuation of residents of the lower areas, mountainous and coastal areas. Everything is being done to provide food supplies for 84,700 families. The Philippine Red Cross is intervening, trying to assess the damage, bringing water and sanitation, providing emergency services, health care, shelter, food and non-food distribution service. It is expected that on 8 November Yolanda will rage in the Province of Leyte. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 08/11/2013)
- 2014-09-12 - Peace agreement arrives in Congress, but "the road is still long"
- 2014-09-06 - Silsilah Dialogue Centre advocates harmony in the Year of the Laity
- 2014-09-02 - National Director of the Pontifical Missionary Societies confirmed
- 2014-07-30 - The entire Catholic population celebrates the 100 millionth baby born in the Country
- 2014-07-21 - The missionaries for the development of indigenous peoples in Mindanao
- 2014-07-07 - For the poor and against injustice: the testimony of Father Romano, who was kidnapped 29 years ago, is always present
- 2014-07-02 - The Bishops: No to the restoration of the death penalty
- 2014-06-05 - "Peace is living together": international conference for reconciliation in Mindanao
- 2014-04-28 - Protecting the rights and education of poor rural people
- 2014-04-08 - The Bishops: "We respect the Supreme Court, we defend life with the right to conscientious objection"