ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Typhoon Yolanda aggravates the disastrous situation of 4 million people already affected by the earthquake
Bohol (Agenzia Fides) - The situation of the people of Bohol severely damaged by the 7.2 magnitude earthquake that hit the entire area on October 15 (see Fides 18/10/2013) continues to worsen. As reported to Fides Agency by Dr. Marco Iazzolino, deputy coordinator of the Camillian Task Force (CTF), the same area was hit by a violent typhoon category 5, locally known as Yolanda, involving about 4 million people. It is also the area where Father Aris, coordinator of (CTF) and CTF Philippines intervened to bring relief to earthquake victims. "Yesterday I contacted Aris via SMS who was at the height of the typhoon and required to intensify the efforts of all in order to have resources for our confreres and for the people of Bohol" Iazzolino told Fides. In view of potential flash floods, landslides and storm surges, the government ordered the evacuation of residents of the lower areas, mountainous and coastal areas. Everything is being done to provide food supplies for 84,700 families. The Philippine Red Cross is intervening, trying to assess the damage, bringing water and sanitation, providing emergency services, health care, shelter, food and non-food distribution service. It is expected that on 8 November Yolanda will rage in the Province of Leyte. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 08/11/2013)
- 2015-04-09 - The Church to the President: "It is time to approve land reform"
- 2015-03-31 - Cardinal Tagle: "Way of the Cross on Good Friday in prayer for peace"
- 2015-03-28 - Humanitarian crisis in Mindanao; a law has been submitted in the Philippine congress on the Muslim region
- 2015-02-26 - Military offensive in Mindanao; the Bishop in Basilan: "For peace, sincerity is needed"
- 2015-02-24 - Bishops issue “Oratio imperata” for peace in Mindanao
- 2015-02-20 - ASIA/PHILIPPINES – In the Year of the Poor, Lent is a favourable time for solidarity
- 2015-02-19 - Missionary says: “someone wants to destabilise Mindanao”
- 2015-02-18 - ASIA/PHILIPPINES – Christian and Muslim religious leaders: “the peace process must not be abandoned”
- 2015-02-09 - No to "total war" in Mindanao, unity against "the ideology of violence"
- 2015-02-05 - Interfaith harmony, a journey towards peace in the world