ASIA/INDIA - A Bishop reiterates the "right to catechism" for children
Cuddapah ( Agenzia Fides) - Among the many rights to be granted to children, there is also the "right to catechism", that is to say the right to Christian education in order to grow in faith: this is emphasized by His Exc. Msg. Prasad Gallela, Bishop of Cuddapah, in the state of Andhra Pradesh (southern India). In a note sent to Fides, the Bishop explains that "it is part of the Church's mission to ensure that every child has access to Christian catechism: it is education through which the faith of the child has the opportunity to grow and take root". In recent months, a number of social unrest in the state of Andhra Pradesh has forced the Christian educational institutions and parishes to stop or rarefy catechism classes for children. This is why the Bishop wanted to raise the awareness of parish priests, catechists and even the civil authorities to do everything in order not to neglect children’s catechism.
Fr. Akula Prasad, secretary of the Diocesan Commission for Catechesis adds: "I recently visited some schools, hostels and institutes who resumed regular educational activities a few days ago. I am pleased to note that most of our schools are doing a good job and their service is very much appreciated. We are grateful to those who provide a valuable contribution to the smooth functioning of catechism classes: I thank the priests, nuns and lay teachers who carry out their work with great enthusiasm". (SD-PA) (Agenzia Fides 07/11/2013)
- 2014-07-23 - ASIA/INDIA – Prison Ministry: the Church denounces overcrowding and is inspired by Fr. Kolbe
- 2014-07-23 - A special school to restore dignity and social role for the disabled
- 2014-07-22 - Religious violence increases in Uttar Pradesh
- 2014-07-09 - There is no end to poverty: it is estimated that there will be an increase of 100 million poor Indians
- 2014-07-09 - The drama of tea pickers left to themselves
- 2014-07-01 - Helping indigenous women and promoting their social and economic development
- 2014-06-20 - A Catholic Dalit is Deputy Prime Minister of the new state of Telangana
- 2014-06-14 - A Bishop: "Communicating the truth, without exagerating with violence against Christians"
- 2014-06-13 - Christians threatened after the murder of a believer in Orissa
- 2014-06-10 - existent sanitation facilities in the state schools of Madurai district