ASIA/NEPAL - Protestant Christian pastor killed while praying
Kathmandu (Agenzia Fides) - Mourning and anger in the Christian community in Nepal: the 36-year old Christian pastor of the evangelical community "Gospel for Asia", was killed in past days in the village of Phattepur, Nepal. As reported to Fides, for the Christian community "Debalal is a martyr, who was killed because of his faith, while he was carrying out his ministry". He was in fact called in the middle of the night, by Kumar, a 29-year-old man, who had requested the presence of Debalal for a healing prayer. Kumar had been ill for several months and Debalal in the past had prayed for him. Debalal ran to visit the sick. As he was praying, the man suddenly attacked him and cut his throat with a "khukuri", a typical Nepalese knife with a curved blade. Debalal shouted and asked for help but was left to bleed to death. The police arrested the perpetrator of the homicide.
According to local Christians, many people, especially in rural villages, despise Christians, believing Nepal "a Hindu nation". Some of these may have led Kumar to the brutal murder. As Fides learns, Debalal had proclaimed the Gospel to the inhabitants of the villages in the area and some had ordered him to "stay away", but no one expected this kind of violence.
Debalal had a wife and two children who now mourn the loss of a husband and father. "We are deeply saddened. Let us pray for this family in mourning and for our brothers and sisters who share the love of Jesus in difficult situations. Many in Nepal get to know the love of Christ through the sacrifice of believers as Debalal", local Christians say in a statement. (PA) Agenzia Fides 04/11/2013 )
- 2015-06-30 - The aid of Caritas after the earthquake has begun to bear fruit
- 2015-06-27 - Debt relief for Nepal: the IMF says "no"
- 2015-06-24 - "Solidarity generates new hope after the earthquake", says a Jesuit
- 2015-06-09 - Children bought for $ 500 among the ruins of the earthquake
- 2015-05-30 - Monsoon emergency : Caritas Nepal promotes an intervention plan
- 2015-05-26 - A month ago the first earthquake in Nepal, and now the most current emergency is the arrival of the monsoon rains
- 2015-05-22 - UNICEF’s psychosocial counselling on air
- 2015-05-21 - The work of solidarity of the Catholic Church to earthquake victims continues
- 2015-05-08 - Vaccinations against measles for hundreds of thousands of children
- 2015-05-06 - The Camillian Task Force in areas which are isolated and without aid