ASIA/NEPAL - Protestant Christian pastor killed while praying
Kathmandu (Agenzia Fides) - Mourning and anger in the Christian community in Nepal: the 36-year old Christian pastor of the evangelical community "Gospel for Asia", was killed in past days in the village of Phattepur, Nepal. As reported to Fides, for the Christian community "Debalal is a martyr, who was killed because of his faith, while he was carrying out his ministry". He was in fact called in the middle of the night, by Kumar, a 29-year-old man, who had requested the presence of Debalal for a healing prayer. Kumar had been ill for several months and Debalal in the past had prayed for him. Debalal ran to visit the sick. As he was praying, the man suddenly attacked him and cut his throat with a "khukuri", a typical Nepalese knife with a curved blade. Debalal shouted and asked for help but was left to bleed to death. The police arrested the perpetrator of the homicide.
According to local Christians, many people, especially in rural villages, despise Christians, believing Nepal "a Hindu nation". Some of these may have led Kumar to the brutal murder. As Fides learns, Debalal had proclaimed the Gospel to the inhabitants of the villages in the area and some had ordered him to "stay away", but no one expected this kind of violence.
Debalal had a wife and two children who now mourn the loss of a husband and father. "We are deeply saddened. Let us pray for this family in mourning and for our brothers and sisters who share the love of Jesus in difficult situations. Many in Nepal get to know the love of Christ through the sacrifice of believers as Debalal", local Christians say in a statement. (PA) Agenzia Fides 04/11/2013 )
- 2015-03-16 - Nepalese teenagers say no to forced marriage
- 2015-02-14 - Uncertain future after Nepal fails to agree on constitution
- 2014-11-24 - The poor are forced to carry out illegal traficking in organs
- 2014-10-02 - The Apostolic Vicar: "With the Rosary, we will overcome the difficulties"
- 2014-09-01 - Vicar Apostolic tells Religious men and women: mission starts with self-evangelization
- 2014-08-19 - A Christian pastor released from prison, in Tibet
- 2014-06-24 - 40 Christian leaders arrested for "forced conversions": religious freedom at risk
- 2014-06-02 - The new Apostolic Vicar walks "in the light of the Word of God"
- 2014-05-02 - A vigil to announce the new Bishop and pray for reconciliation
- 2014-04-16 - Great joy for 60 newly baptized during the Easter Vigil