ASIA/NEPAL - Protestant Christian pastor killed while praying
Kathmandu (Agenzia Fides) - Mourning and anger in the Christian community in Nepal: the 36-year old Christian pastor of the evangelical community "Gospel for Asia", was killed in past days in the village of Phattepur, Nepal. As reported to Fides, for the Christian community "Debalal is a martyr, who was killed because of his faith, while he was carrying out his ministry". He was in fact called in the middle of the night, by Kumar, a 29-year-old man, who had requested the presence of Debalal for a healing prayer. Kumar had been ill for several months and Debalal in the past had prayed for him. Debalal ran to visit the sick. As he was praying, the man suddenly attacked him and cut his throat with a "khukuri", a typical Nepalese knife with a curved blade. Debalal shouted and asked for help but was left to bleed to death. The police arrested the perpetrator of the homicide.
According to local Christians, many people, especially in rural villages, despise Christians, believing Nepal "a Hindu nation". Some of these may have led Kumar to the brutal murder. As Fides learns, Debalal had proclaimed the Gospel to the inhabitants of the villages in the area and some had ordered him to "stay away", but no one expected this kind of violence.
Debalal had a wife and two children who now mourn the loss of a husband and father. "We are deeply saddened. Let us pray for this family in mourning and for our brothers and sisters who share the love of Jesus in difficult situations. Many in Nepal get to know the love of Christ through the sacrifice of believers as Debalal", local Christians say in a statement. (PA) Agenzia Fides 04/11/2013 )
- 2013-11-04 ASIA/NEPAL - Protestant Christian pastor killed while praying
- 2013-05-06 ASIA/NEPAL - We need to change behavioral attitudes to combat malnutrition
- 2013-03-01 ASIA/NEPAL - Fasting against corruption
- 2012-12-17 ASIA/NEPAL - Dramatic situation of malnourished children and mothers without medical assistance
- 2012-12-14 ASIA/NEPAL - Christians contest the census of the government
- 2012-12-12 ASIA/NEPAL - Pilot project to assist women who have suffered violence
- 2012-10-29 ASIA/NEPAL - Key role of the volunteers involved in health care, progress in maternal and child health care
- 2012-09-28 ASIA/NEPAL - 21 specialized paramedics for 30 million people; more support for hospital transport is needed
- 2012-09-19 ASIA/NEPAL - About a quarter of the population is extremely poor
- 2012-08-02 ASIA/NEPAL - New technological equipment is needed to facilitate the heavy work of women farmers