AMERICA/MEXICO - No to Halloween, "we must enhance our traditions", says the Bishop of Aguascalientes
Aguascalientes (Agenzia Fides) - On the occasion of the feast of All Saints and All Souls' Day, November 1 and 2, the Bishop of Aguascalientes, His Exc. Mgr. José María de la Torre Martin, called on the faithful and the whole community to preserve and promote their Christian traditions and not to encourage the spread of "Halloween", to be considered a business of terror.
In the note sent to Fides Agency, the Bishop points out that "Hollywood has undoubtedly contributed to the spread of Halloween with a series of films where violence and murder create a morbid state of anguish and anxiety towards viewers". As if there was not already violence on our streets, comments the Bishop, who only a few days ago had denounced "the overwhelming wave of violence and insecurity that the country is experiencing" (see Fides 29/10/2013). Halloween "also aims to encourage the imitation of North American customs only because this country has the reputation of being superior", he added .
Mgr. José María de la Torre Martin points out that the commemoration of the dead is a deeply rooted tradition in the people of Mexico: In addition to remembering the dead it should also be an opportunity to reflect on the meaning of our existence. Christian faith is a faith that looks beyond the grave, it is a faith that believes in eternal life. "I encourage everyone to take this opportunity and to share the meaning of this celebration with children and young people" urges the Bishop, recalling that "we need to highlight the richness of our traditions to pass on to future generations". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 31/10/2013)
- 2013-12-07 AMERICA/MEXICO - "The Church is not afraid of threats", says the Bishop of Toluca
- 2013-12-06 AMERICA/MEXICO - "They left alive, we want them back alive": solidarity for the Caravan of Central American mothers
- 2013-11-25 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Violence against women is a social challenge", says Bishop Sanchez
- 2013-11-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - The Archbishop of Morelia calls on the population: "take shelter... there is violence in the street"
- 2013-11-12 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Evangelization in a context of violence" at the center of the reflection of the Bishops’ Assembly
- 2013-11-11 AMERICA/MEXICO - Three commitments on behalf of the authorities for migrants, after the intervention of Mgr. Vera López
- 2013-11-06 AMERICA/MEXICO – Historic event: a Bishop at the Congress of Coahuila opens a dialogue for the rights of migrants
- 2013-11-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - Children do not want to speak indigenous languages for fear of discrimination
- 2013-11-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - "We want peace!": The Bishop of Apatzingan leads a march with thousands of faithful
- 2013-11-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - A net divides the two countries, many families and even the altar for the Mass for Migrants