AMERICA/MEXICO - No to Halloween, "we must enhance our traditions", says the Bishop of Aguascalientes
Aguascalientes (Agenzia Fides) - On the occasion of the feast of All Saints and All Souls' Day, November 1 and 2, the Bishop of Aguascalientes, His Exc. Mgr. José María de la Torre Martin, called on the faithful and the whole community to preserve and promote their Christian traditions and not to encourage the spread of "Halloween", to be considered a business of terror.
In the note sent to Fides Agency, the Bishop points out that "Hollywood has undoubtedly contributed to the spread of Halloween with a series of films where violence and murder create a morbid state of anguish and anxiety towards viewers". As if there was not already violence on our streets, comments the Bishop, who only a few days ago had denounced "the overwhelming wave of violence and insecurity that the country is experiencing" (see Fides 29/10/2013). Halloween "also aims to encourage the imitation of North American customs only because this country has the reputation of being superior", he added .
Mgr. José María de la Torre Martin points out that the commemoration of the dead is a deeply rooted tradition in the people of Mexico: In addition to remembering the dead it should also be an opportunity to reflect on the meaning of our existence. Christian faith is a faith that looks beyond the grave, it is a faith that believes in eternal life. "I encourage everyone to take this opportunity and to share the meaning of this celebration with children and young people" urges the Bishop, recalling that "we need to highlight the richness of our traditions to pass on to future generations". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 31/10/2013)
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language
- 2015-04-20 - Every day two thousand weapons smuggled into Mexico from the United States
- 2015-04-17 - The Assembly of Bishops: "Without trust and participation we cannot go forth!"
- 2015-04-15 - Every year thousands of children are born on the street, at home or in situations considered at high risk
- 2015-04-14 - Meeting between the Church and those responsible of the elections: no to boycott
- 2015-04-09 - Another priest killed
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude