AMERICA/MEXICO - No to Halloween, "we must enhance our traditions", says the Bishop of Aguascalientes
Aguascalientes (Agenzia Fides) - On the occasion of the feast of All Saints and All Souls' Day, November 1 and 2, the Bishop of Aguascalientes, His Exc. Mgr. José María de la Torre Martin, called on the faithful and the whole community to preserve and promote their Christian traditions and not to encourage the spread of "Halloween", to be considered a business of terror.
In the note sent to Fides Agency, the Bishop points out that "Hollywood has undoubtedly contributed to the spread of Halloween with a series of films where violence and murder create a morbid state of anguish and anxiety towards viewers". As if there was not already violence on our streets, comments the Bishop, who only a few days ago had denounced "the overwhelming wave of violence and insecurity that the country is experiencing" (see Fides 29/10/2013). Halloween "also aims to encourage the imitation of North American customs only because this country has the reputation of being superior", he added .
Mgr. José María de la Torre Martin points out that the commemoration of the dead is a deeply rooted tradition in the people of Mexico: In addition to remembering the dead it should also be an opportunity to reflect on the meaning of our existence. Christian faith is a faith that looks beyond the grave, it is a faith that believes in eternal life. "I encourage everyone to take this opportunity and to share the meaning of this celebration with children and young people" urges the Bishop, recalling that "we need to highlight the richness of our traditions to pass on to future generations". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 31/10/2013)
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"
- 2014-10-21 - When you do not respect the right of even one person, it jeopardizes the right of all
- 2014-10-21 - 2000 children have been killed or maimed between 2006 and 2014
- 2014-10-15 - "Never accept violence as a solution", warns Mgr. Lona Reyes who proposes a prayer campaign
- 2014-10-14 - Bishops on the Iguala case: "clarify what happened, the truth is the path to justice"
- 2014-10-10 - The tragedy of Iguala and its consequences: a letter from the Archbishop of Acapulco
- 2014-10-09 - Corrupt policemen and climate of mistrust, the Bishop of La Paz denounces the silence of the authorities
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction
- 2014-09-24 - Priest found dead in the river Balsas
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"