ASIA/SYRIA - The Jesuits on the Syrian conflict: Let’s stop arms dealers
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - In order to understand and stop the conflict in Syria "one should recognize and call by name the real interests at stake, at a local, regional and international level, which do not correspond to the interests of the Syrian people". This is the suggested path as a key to the Syrian crisis by the Provincial Superiors of the Jesuits of the Middle East and Europe, who met in Rome on Friday, October 25. In the final statement, sent to Fides Agency, the Jesuit provincials dwell in particular on arm trafficking as a factor in triggering and feeding of wars and acts of terrorism suffered by the peoples of the Middle East: "We" write the religious in reference to the situation in Syria "call for an end to the supply and sale of arms to all parties in conflict". The final message of the meeting also focused on the situation of indigenous Christian communities, present in Syria since the early days of Christianity. According to the Jesuits "solutions that provide the exile of these communities" are not tolerable. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 29/10/2013)
- 2013-12-09 ASIA/SYRIA - The monastic Community in Deir Mar Musa works for reconciliation
- 2013-12-07 ASIA/SYRIA - The nuns of Maalula, the Lebanese security chief in Qatar to try and find a solution
- 2013-12-05 ASIA/SYRIA - Conflicting statements on the issue of the Sisters of Maalula
- 2013-12-03 ASIA/SYRIA - Patriarch Gregory III: "True martyrs in Maalula"
- 2013-12-02 ASIA/SYRIA - Maalula again occupied by the rebels
- 2013-11-28 ASIA/SYRIA - A parish priest: "The exodus of civil Christians from Qara, invaded by foreign jihadists"
- 2013-11-27 ASIA/SYRIA - Pax Christi International: Europe must not close its doors to Syrian refugees
- 2013-11-25 ASIA/SYRIA - The village of Deir Atieh invaded by Islamists: Christians identified and detained
- 2013-11-23 ASIA/SYRIA - Birth of the Islamic Front. Patriarch Gregorios III: they certainly do not fight for democracy
- 2013-11-20 ASIA/SYRIA - The army arrest two Christian activists of the Assyrian Democratic Organization