AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Orthodox Bishop: no to weapons in churches
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The attacks and persecutions suffered by the Copts in the last convulsive seasons in Egypt should not be exploited to propagate ideas and alien behavior towards the Christian faith and contrary to the true interests of the indigenous Christian communities in Egypt. This was stated with clarity by Coptic Orthodox Bishop Morcos, titular of the Diocese of Shubra al-Khaimah, in the metropolitan area of Cairo. According to Egyptian sources consulted by Fides Agency, Anba Marcos has made it clear that "all attempts to invoke the intervention of the West with the pretext of saving the Christian minority must be rejected". The Egyptian bishop also wanted to point out that "churches do not need to hide weapons, as some argue", because any measure of armed self-defense would have little effect before targeted terrorist attacks. At the same time, Bishop Morcos showed understanding for the sense of frustration that increases in particular among organized groups of young Copts, nourished also by the impunity that was previously reserved to the leaders of terrorist attacks against churches and Christian homes, however inviting all to trust in the help and protection of the Lord. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 28/10/2013)
- 2015-08-28 - The Coptic Church: the life of the Country depends on the "good health" of the Nile
- 2015-07-23 - President al-Sisi decrees that even church buildings and mosques shall soon pay for electricity
- 2015-07-22 - A law is being requested against conversions of Christian minors without parental consent
- 2015-07-21 - The Council of Christian Churches convenes a day of prayer on the anniversary of the 1952 "Revolution"
- 2015-07-15 - Patriarch Tawadros withdraws the complaint against the militants of the "38 Copts" association
- 2015-07-07 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II meets the priests' wives
- 2015-07-06 - The Coptic Church of Saints Anthony and Paul distributes food to the poor Muslims for Ramadan
- 2015-07-02 - The Coptic Church after the jihadist attacks in Sinai: we are on the side of the military fighting "evil forces"
- 2015-06-30 - Condolences of the Council of Christian Churches for the assassination of Attorney General
- 2015-06-26 - Christians organize the "banquet of unity" for Muslims on the occasion of Ramadan