AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - John Paul II foundation for the Sahel: renew oneself for a better service to the poor
Ouagadougou (Agenzia Fides) - Need for a renewal of the "John Paul II Foundation for the Sahel" so that it realizes its service in the best way to combat drought and desertification in the Sahel, carrying out the Pope’s charity every day, was brought to light during the work of the Board of Directors of the Foundation, which ends today in Ouagadougou. According to the note sent to Fides Agency by the diocesan curia of Bissau, this extraordinary session was opened on 25 October with the intervention of the Archbishop of Ouagadougou, His Exc. Mgr. Philippe Ouedraogo; the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Foundation, His Exc. Mgr. Jean -Pierre Bassene, Bishop of Kolda (Senegal ); the Apostolic Nuncio in Burkina - Niger, Archbishop Vito Rallo, and Cardinal Robert Sarah, President of Cor Unum.
In its 30 years of life, the Foundation has fulfilled its mission of being a "good Samaritan" for people in greatest need of the nine countries that it embraces (Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Chad, Gambia, Guinea Bissau, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Senegal), now the focus of this meeting is what paths are to be taken in order to continue in the support towards poor people in their fight against drought in the Sahel. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 28/10/2013)
- 2015-07-15 - Caritas launches the program of consolidation of democracy in view of the elections in October
- 2015-02-09 - Demonstrations for the dissolution of the presidential guard
- 2014-12-17 - The Camilliani committed to face the threat of Ebola virus
- 2014-11-17 - AFRICA/BURKINA FASO – Burkina Faso appoints transitional President
- 2014-11-12 - Mgr. Ouedraogo confident about the return of power to civilians on behalf of the military
- 2014-11-11 - A Bishop President of the Transition? The official position of the Church
- 2014-11-06 - An agreement for the transition has been reached; for the Bishops: a "historic turning point, now let us work for peace"
- 2014-11-05 - Cardinal Ouédraogo: "There is a desire for dialogue to end the crisis"
- 2014-11-03 - "Pray for reconciliation, justice and peace", asks Cardinal Ouédraogo
- 2014-10-31 - The Bishops a year ago warned: "Young people’s anger increases due to corrupt politics"