AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - John Paul II foundation for the Sahel: renew oneself for a better service to the poor
Ouagadougou (Agenzia Fides) - Need for a renewal of the "John Paul II Foundation for the Sahel" so that it realizes its service in the best way to combat drought and desertification in the Sahel, carrying out the Pope’s charity every day, was brought to light during the work of the Board of Directors of the Foundation, which ends today in Ouagadougou. According to the note sent to Fides Agency by the diocesan curia of Bissau, this extraordinary session was opened on 25 October with the intervention of the Archbishop of Ouagadougou, His Exc. Mgr. Philippe Ouedraogo; the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Foundation, His Exc. Mgr. Jean -Pierre Bassene, Bishop of Kolda (Senegal ); the Apostolic Nuncio in Burkina - Niger, Archbishop Vito Rallo, and Cardinal Robert Sarah, President of Cor Unum.
In its 30 years of life, the Foundation has fulfilled its mission of being a "good Samaritan" for people in greatest need of the nine countries that it embraces (Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Chad, Gambia, Guinea Bissau, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Senegal), now the focus of this meeting is what paths are to be taken in order to continue in the support towards poor people in their fight against drought in the Sahel. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 28/10/2013)
- 2015-12-01 - Roch Marc Christian Kaboré elected Head of State in the first round
- 2015-11-30 - Waiting for yesterday’s election results
- 2015-11-10 - "Justice and Peace" launches a major project of solidarity across the Country
- 2015-10-05 - "We are all called to work for reconciliation" says Cardinal Ouédraogo after the failed coup
- 2015-10-02 - Leader of the coup surrenders; today a day of prayer for peace in the Country
- 2015-09-28 - Coup leaders retreat: the role of the king of the Mossi in the resolution of the crisis
- 2015-09-23 - An agreement with the coup leaders has been reached; Bishops: "do not destroy the expectations of the people"
- 2015-09-22 - Burkina Faso's army has given coup leaders an ultimatum to surrender
- 2015-09-17 - "A predictable coup since Compaoré's praetorian guard was not dissolved" say Fides sources
- 2015-09-07 - Bishops' message for the 11 October elections: "Politics, the highest form of charity"