AMERICA/GUATEMALA - " They only leave crumbs, generate social conflicts and destroy the environment": Mgr. Ramazzini on foreign mining companies
Huehuetenango (Agenzia Fides) - The mining companies, mostly Canadian, which exploit the gold, silver and other metals in Guatemala and Mexico, "not only leave crumbs, but are generating social conflicts, and then, in addition, destroy the environment". This is what the Bishop of Huehuetenango, Guatemala, His Exc. Mgr. Alvaro Leonel Ramazzini Imeri said. In a note sent to Fides Agency, the Bishop points out that "in order to maintain peace it would be enough to stop the exploitation of mines in Guatemala", where currently four mines extract metals, but it is known that more than 168 work without permission.
"For eight years there has been a struggle for changes in the mining laws in Guatemala. There are groups opposed to the extraction ... We propose a radical reform that closes the mining sector activity", said the Bishop speaking also on behalf of the local community. Then he reiterated: "It is always best to consult the population about the mining activity. For example, in Huehuetenango, bordering Chiapas, virtually the entire population does not want this type of mining, and out of 32 municipalities, 30 are opposed".
Msg. Ramazzini Imeri also denounced that these mining companies "have a negative environmental impact: the waste of water in areas where it is scarce, the use of cyanide which ends up in the rivers. There are no economic benefits for the country". Canadian companies also represent "a generator of social conflict, since there is nothing left of the wealth they say they leave to the community: in fact out of the 1 per cent they have to pay according to the law, 0.5 percent goes to the municipality and the another 0.5 to the central government". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/10/2013)
- 2015-06-01 - Thousands are demanding the resignation of the President accused of corruption
- 2015-04-27 - We cannot forget the figure of Mgr. Juan Gerardi, who fought for a different Guatemala
- 2015-01-29 - A reception center for HIV children
- 2015-01-22 - Niños de Paz project to protect thousands of refugees and displaced children
- 2014-11-12 - To strengthen missionary commitment in spite of violence in the country and people's indifference
- 2014-10-28 - "City of Hope": an integral project for young landfill workers
- 2014-10-06 - Violence in Sacatepéquez continues, the government asks for the mediation of the Church
- 2014-09-29 - Child workers: the exploitation of children represents a permanent crisis
- 2014-09-25 - Violence does not stop due to a mega project in the indigenous territories: 11 dead and several wounded
- 2014-09-10 - AMERICA/GUATEMALA – Fighting poverty and undernourishment to escape underdevelopment