ASIA/IRAQ - Chaldean Church, the former seminary becomes a condo for needy families
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - The Chaldean Patriarchate has announced the upcoming distribution of the first batch of 16apartments thanks to the renovation of the former Patriarchal Seminary, intended for families in need. According to sources of the Patriarchate consulted by Fides Agency, the homes will be delivered in 15 days. Another 32 housing units, nearing completion, will be delivered in coming months. The new residential complex with gardens and play areas for children, focuses around the parish church dedicated to the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul.
The initiative to transform abandoned buildings into residential condominium that housed the Chaldean Seminary – which moved in 2006 to Erbil, in Iraqi Kurdistan, when the rector and some professors had undergone a series of kidnappings - was strongly supported by Patriarch Louis Raphael I Sako also as a concrete measure to help young Chaldean families not to leave their homeland and thus stop the exodus which in Iraq is gradually eroding the indigenous Christian communities of apostolic tradition. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 21/10/2013)
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"
- 2015-05-04 - Chaldean Patriarch opens discussion on the draft Constitution for the Iraqi Kurdistan Region
- 2015-05-02 - Military offensive to free the province of Nineveh. Chaldean priest: "Christians want to return to their homes"
- 2015-04-13 - Northern Iraq's displaced get own radio station
- 2015-03-30 - The Chaldean Church participates in the mourning for the death of Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV
- 2015-03-28 - Chaldean Patriarch to the UN: the "Arab Spring" impacted negatively on Christians
- 2015-03-16 - Chaldean Patriarch: a law against preachers who incite violence is needed
- 2015-03-12 - The monastery of St. George in Mosul damaged, but not destroyed
- 2015-03-10 - Appeal of the Chaldean Patriarch: the offensive against the Caliphate causes new humanitarian emergencies
- 2015-02-24 - ASIA/IRAQ – Courses to start soon at Erbil Catholic University