ASIA/IRAQ - Chaldean Church, the former seminary becomes a condo for needy families
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - The Chaldean Patriarchate has announced the upcoming distribution of the first batch of 16apartments thanks to the renovation of the former Patriarchal Seminary, intended for families in need. According to sources of the Patriarchate consulted by Fides Agency, the homes will be delivered in 15 days. Another 32 housing units, nearing completion, will be delivered in coming months. The new residential complex with gardens and play areas for children, focuses around the parish church dedicated to the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul.
The initiative to transform abandoned buildings into residential condominium that housed the Chaldean Seminary – which moved in 2006 to Erbil, in Iraqi Kurdistan, when the rector and some professors had undergone a series of kidnappings - was strongly supported by Patriarch Louis Raphael I Sako also as a concrete measure to help young Chaldean families not to leave their homeland and thus stop the exodus which in Iraq is gradually eroding the indigenous Christian communities of apostolic tradition. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 21/10/2013)
- 2015-07-23 - Also in Kirkuk expropriation of Christian homes
- 2015-07-22 - The government orders the transfer of the military of the Nineveh Plain to Baghdad; Christian politicians protest
- 2015-07-14 - The Chaldean Church of St. Joseph in Mosul transformed into a mosque
- 2015-07-10 - In Baghdad, Christians kidnapped and killed despite the payment of ransom
- 2015-07-03 - The founding conference of the Chaldean League has concluded
- 2015-07-01 - An international conference in Erbil to found the "League of the Chaldeans"
- 2015-06-18 - Chaldean Patriarch sends a message to Muslims for the start of Ramadan
- 2015-06-13 - Thousands of Christian homes taken by deception
- 2015-06-10 - Chaldean Patriarch: a year after the fall of Mosul, only national reconciliation can save the country
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"