ASIA/IRAQ - Chaldean Church, the former seminary becomes a condo for needy families
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - The Chaldean Patriarchate has announced the upcoming distribution of the first batch of 16apartments thanks to the renovation of the former Patriarchal Seminary, intended for families in need. According to sources of the Patriarchate consulted by Fides Agency, the homes will be delivered in 15 days. Another 32 housing units, nearing completion, will be delivered in coming months. The new residential complex with gardens and play areas for children, focuses around the parish church dedicated to the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul.
The initiative to transform abandoned buildings into residential condominium that housed the Chaldean Seminary – which moved in 2006 to Erbil, in Iraqi Kurdistan, when the rector and some professors had undergone a series of kidnappings - was strongly supported by Patriarch Louis Raphael I Sako also as a concrete measure to help young Chaldean families not to leave their homeland and thus stop the exodus which in Iraq is gradually eroding the indigenous Christian communities of apostolic tradition. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 21/10/2013)
- 2014-08-22 - Cardinal Fernando Filoni: my mission among the sufferings of the Iraqi brothers
- 2014-08-20 - Barzani: ready to arm Christian volunteers
- 2014-07-31 - Mosul, signs of revolt against the "Islamic Caliphate". Bishop Nona: So far no church has been destroyed
- 2014-07-26 - ASIA/IRAQ – Pope Francis calls the Chaldean Patriarch. Rumors about the destruction of churches in Mosul have been denied
- 2014-07-23 - Iraqi Bishops appeal to the Prime Minister and the government: "stop the catastrophe"
- 2014-07-23 - The jihadists of the "Caliphate" attack Tilkif, rejected by Kurdish Peshmerga
- 2014-07-22 - Last exodus from Mosul: nearly three thousand Christians
- 2014-07-21 - ASIA/IRAQ – The Syrian Monastery of Mar Behnam in the hands of the militia of the "Islamic Caliphate"
- 2014-07-18 - The last Christian families leave Mosul
- 2014-07-16 - In Mosul, the Islamic Caliphate orders: no aid to Christians and Shiites, while their homes are being expropriated