ASIA/HOLY LAND - Christians march to denounce acts of intimidation of extremist settlers
Jerusalem (Agenzia Fides) - A spontaneous march of Christians in Jerusalem was held on Monday, October 7th through the streets of the Holy City to denounce the frequent desecration perpetrated by groups of extremist Jewish settlers against Christian places of worship. A group of more than a hundred Christians found themselves at the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre and then went to the Latin Catholic and the Anglican cemetery, desecrated in recent weeks with racist graffiti drawn on the walls, damaging the tombs. Participants in the small procession, following a wooden cross, sang and recited prayers along the way, spreading a statement in which they denounce acts of intimidation against monasteries, cemeteries, churches and mosques. "It was a spontaneous demonstration to denounce the repeated attacks against holy places carried out by an irresponsible minority, that threatens the peaceful coexistence among peoples" refers to Fides Bishop William Shomali, Patriarchal Vicar of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem.
The number of acts of intimidation against monasteries, churches and Christian cemeteries began in February 2012. Since then, militant extremist groups close to the settler movement have also led attacks against mosques frequented by Palestinian Arabs of islamic religion. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 08/10/2013)
- 2015-11-21 - Caritas Jerusalem: "collective punishment" of the Palestinians must cease
- 2015-11-16 - The Catholic Bishops: fight terrorism without "duplicity"
- 2015-11-05 - The Catholic Bishops: more confessors in the Shrines for the Holy Year of Mercy
- 2015-10-30 - Pilgrims visit Holy Land, despite the violence
- 2015-10-21 - Olive harvest has begun in Gethsemane
- 2015-10-20 - Violence in Jerusalem, the Christian Youth of Palestine announces a prayer vigil for peace
- 2015-10-19 - Patriarch Twal: the "wall of Jerusalem" disfigures the face of the Holy City
- 2015-10-16 - Caritas Jerusalem: pilgrimages cancelled due to the blocks in the neighborhoods of the Holy City
- 2015-10-15 - Religious leaders and Shimon Peres against sectarian violence
- 2015-10-14 - The Director of Caritas Jerusalem: the block of East Jerusalem feeds anger and feelings of revenge