ASIA/HOLY LAND - Christians march to denounce acts of intimidation of extremist settlers
Jerusalem (Agenzia Fides) - A spontaneous march of Christians in Jerusalem was held on Monday, October 7th through the streets of the Holy City to denounce the frequent desecration perpetrated by groups of extremist Jewish settlers against Christian places of worship. A group of more than a hundred Christians found themselves at the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre and then went to the Latin Catholic and the Anglican cemetery, desecrated in recent weeks with racist graffiti drawn on the walls, damaging the tombs. Participants in the small procession, following a wooden cross, sang and recited prayers along the way, spreading a statement in which they denounce acts of intimidation against monasteries, cemeteries, churches and mosques. "It was a spontaneous demonstration to denounce the repeated attacks against holy places carried out by an irresponsible minority, that threatens the peaceful coexistence among peoples" refers to Fides Bishop William Shomali, Patriarchal Vicar of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem.
The number of acts of intimidation against monasteries, churches and Christian cemeteries began in February 2012. Since then, militant extremist groups close to the settler movement have also led attacks against mosques frequented by Palestinian Arabs of islamic religion. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 08/10/2013)
- 2015-03-23 - Palestinian President invited to the canonization on 17 May
- 2015-03-12 - The Catholic Bishops: necessity to rebuild Gaza, support schools, help refugees and immigrants
- 2015-03-09 - Liturgy at the Holy Sepulchre to commemorate the Armenian Genocide
- 2015-02-26 - Arson attack against the Orthodox Theological Seminary in Jerusalem
- 2015-02-12 - Palestinian Mayors: the Wall in the Cremisan Valley will suffocate the presence of Christians
- 2015-01-14 - The Bishops' Holy Land Coordination visit the Cremisan Valley
- 2015-01-12 - International Delegation of Bishops visit Gaza; for Archbishop Fontana "a devastated situation"
- 2015-01-07 - International Delegation of Bishops to visit Gaza
- 2014-12-22 - Patriarch Twal visits Gaza: "today for many refugee children it would be a luxury to live in the grotto where Jesus was born"
- 2014-12-18 - Christmas Message of His Beatitude Patriarch Twal: tragedies and hopes of a difficult year