ASIA/HOLY LAND - Christians march to denounce acts of intimidation of extremist settlers
Jerusalem (Agenzia Fides) - A spontaneous march of Christians in Jerusalem was held on Monday, October 7th through the streets of the Holy City to denounce the frequent desecration perpetrated by groups of extremist Jewish settlers against Christian places of worship. A group of more than a hundred Christians found themselves at the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre and then went to the Latin Catholic and the Anglican cemetery, desecrated in recent weeks with racist graffiti drawn on the walls, damaging the tombs. Participants in the small procession, following a wooden cross, sang and recited prayers along the way, spreading a statement in which they denounce acts of intimidation against monasteries, cemeteries, churches and mosques. "It was a spontaneous demonstration to denounce the repeated attacks against holy places carried out by an irresponsible minority, that threatens the peaceful coexistence among peoples" refers to Fides Bishop William Shomali, Patriarchal Vicar of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem.
The number of acts of intimidation against monasteries, churches and Christian cemeteries began in February 2012. Since then, militant extremist groups close to the settler movement have also led attacks against mosques frequented by Palestinian Arabs of islamic religion. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 08/10/2013)
- 2014-09-22 - The Catholic Bishops: the recognition of the "Aramean" nationality aims to divide the Palestinian Christians from others
- 2014-09-17 - 240,000 children return to school in Gaza
- 2014-09-17 - Patriarch Twal: the presence of Christian immigrants is an asset for the local church
- 2014-09-12 - Catholic Episcopal Commission: pilgrims are messengers of peace between Palestinians and Israelis
- 2014-09-10 - ASIA/HOLY LAND – US Catholic Bishops make Holy Land pilgrimage to 'pray for peace'
- 2014-09-09 - ASIA/HOLY LAND – New equipe for missionary animation in the land of Jesus
- 2014-09-04 - Caritas Jerusalem: in Gaza 400,000 children need psychological care
- 2014-09-02 - Latin Patriarchal delegation visits Gaza: “it is like the cities devastated by World War II”
- 2014-08-30 - ASIA/HOLY LAND – Catholic schools cancel strike, but Israeli government talks of ‘take over’
- 2014-08-06 - In Gaza a child dies every hour. There is no electricity, water and essential medical services