ASIA/HOLY LAND - Christians march to denounce acts of intimidation of extremist settlers
Jerusalem (Agenzia Fides) - A spontaneous march of Christians in Jerusalem was held on Monday, October 7th through the streets of the Holy City to denounce the frequent desecration perpetrated by groups of extremist Jewish settlers against Christian places of worship. A group of more than a hundred Christians found themselves at the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre and then went to the Latin Catholic and the Anglican cemetery, desecrated in recent weeks with racist graffiti drawn on the walls, damaging the tombs. Participants in the small procession, following a wooden cross, sang and recited prayers along the way, spreading a statement in which they denounce acts of intimidation against monasteries, cemeteries, churches and mosques. "It was a spontaneous demonstration to denounce the repeated attacks against holy places carried out by an irresponsible minority, that threatens the peaceful coexistence among peoples" refers to Fides Bishop William Shomali, Patriarchal Vicar of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem.
The number of acts of intimidation against monasteries, churches and Christian cemeteries began in February 2012. Since then, militant extremist groups close to the settler movement have also led attacks against mosques frequented by Palestinian Arabs of islamic religion. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 08/10/2013)
- 2014-08-06 - In Gaza a child dies every hour. There is no electricity, water and essential medical services
- 2014-08-06 - Appeal of the Patriarch of Jerusalem to Aid to the Church in Need for the victims of Gaza
- 2014-08-01 - The Patriarch of Jerusalem, Twal: the truce is not needed if Gaza remains a desperate prison
- 2014-08-01 - Prayers and fasting for peace in Gaza and throughout the Middle East
- 2014-08-01 - The Forgiveness of Assisi dedicated to peace in the Middle East
- 2014-07-29 - Bombing near the Catholic parish in Gaza. School devastated
- 2014-07-24 - Caritas Jerusalem rescues thousands of Muslims, who have taken shelter in schools and churches in Gaza
- 2014-07-22 - Patriarch Emeritus Sabbah: there is no war in Gaza, but a useless massacre
- 2014-07-18 - The Israeli army enters Gaza. Pope's message to the local Catholic community
- 2014-07-17 - Gaza, three missiles close to the Catholic parish. Scuffle to look for food during the "humanitarian truce"