AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Alarming figures on children who are exploited and sexually abused
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - In the last 5 years the rate of minors who are exploited work-wise has increased between 25 and 30% per year. Currently there are 238,000 child workers in Nicaragua. This is what emerges from the data released by the Federation of Organisations for Local Development. These are alarming figures, minors who are exploited instead of going to school, work up to 18 hours a day in the fields, factories, private homes, and even victims of sexual abuse. These children have no social or medical assistance, nor have holiday breaks. The departments that make greater use of child laborers are those of Jinotega and Matagalpa, in particular during the coffee harvest, while in the department of León they are exploited in the fields. The phenomenon is aggravated by the unemployment of parents who in turn force children to contribute to the family economy. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 08/10/2013)
- 2015-01-20 - Pastoral letter: "Some people are more interested in profit than man himself"
- 2015-01-13 - Still controversy about the transoceanic canal: the Bishops call for clarity
- 2014-12-10 - Church-Government meeting on the Interoceanic Canal
- 2014-12-05 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Electoral certificate renewal: Bishops speak out
- 2014-11-26 - The Bishops of Central America gather: Communication in the culture of encounter
- 2014-11-25 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Transoceanic canal: Cardinal Brenes calls for transparency
- 2014-11-24 - Concern for the construction of the Canal: "I will not leave you alone" ensures the Bishop of Granada
- 2014-11-17 - The Church on the mega project of the Interoceanic Canal: "Everyone must be heard"
- 2014-10-01 - Initiatives and projects for 1400 child workers in Honduras and Nicaragua
- 2014-09-17 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The Bishops on Law 779: the reform is urgent, the Church is not the auxiliary of the police