AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Alarming figures on children who are exploited and sexually abused
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - In the last 5 years the rate of minors who are exploited work-wise has increased between 25 and 30% per year. Currently there are 238,000 child workers in Nicaragua. This is what emerges from the data released by the Federation of Organisations for Local Development. These are alarming figures, minors who are exploited instead of going to school, work up to 18 hours a day in the fields, factories, private homes, and even victims of sexual abuse. These children have no social or medical assistance, nor have holiday breaks. The departments that make greater use of child laborers are those of Jinotega and Matagalpa, in particular during the coffee harvest, while in the department of León they are exploited in the fields. The phenomenon is aggravated by the unemployment of parents who in turn force children to contribute to the family economy. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 08/10/2013)
- 2014-08-19 - "Assist families but without interfering in their private lives", said the Bishop of Matagalpa
- 2014-07-30 - The country awaits a word of encouragement from the Bishops
- 2014-07-22 - The Archdiocese of Managua condemns the criminal act against innocent civilians on Saturday
- 2014-06-04 - Bishops awaiting the President's reply to the questions posed
- 2014-05-22 - Dialogue between the Church and government begins: "In search of new horizons for a better Nicaragua"
- 2014-05-20 - The Church on the eve of talks with the government: problems are not solved by ignoring them
- 2014-05-14 - Bishops call for three days of prayer for the Church-Government meeting
- 2014-04-08 - Pastor killed: he was "a charismatic, sociable, cheerful priest, he inspired young people to follow Jesus Christ"
- 2014-03-26 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The government of Ortega ready to dialogue with the Church
- 2014-03-20 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Dialogue is closer and closer: President Ortega has received the Bishops’ letter