AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Alarming figures on children who are exploited and sexually abused
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - In the last 5 years the rate of minors who are exploited work-wise has increased between 25 and 30% per year. Currently there are 238,000 child workers in Nicaragua. This is what emerges from the data released by the Federation of Organisations for Local Development. These are alarming figures, minors who are exploited instead of going to school, work up to 18 hours a day in the fields, factories, private homes, and even victims of sexual abuse. These children have no social or medical assistance, nor have holiday breaks. The departments that make greater use of child laborers are those of Jinotega and Matagalpa, in particular during the coffee harvest, while in the department of León they are exploited in the fields. The phenomenon is aggravated by the unemployment of parents who in turn force children to contribute to the family economy. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 08/10/2013)
- 2015-06-30 - "We are losing the values and respect for life", warns Cardinal Brenes
- 2015-06-22 - Two years after the attack against the elderly, the case has not yet been solved
- 2015-06-15 - Still controversy over the transoceanic canal; Mgr. Baez "more transparency is needed"
- 2015-06-03 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Drought continues: the population without water and crops
- 2015-05-05 - "Informed citizenry is able to build a just society", says Msg. Baez
- 2015-03-27 - Group of Spanish Catholic volunteers give support to Nicaraguan children
- 2015-03-20 - Project which involves women to bring electricity to poor communities
- 2015-03-09 - Lent: journey of liberation to fight indifference and selfishness
- 2015-03-06 - "Facts have to be reported": creation of the Human Rights Commission in Pantasma
- 2015-02-13 - Mgr. Mata: "The government must defend human rights"