AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Alarming figures on children who are exploited and sexually abused
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - In the last 5 years the rate of minors who are exploited work-wise has increased between 25 and 30% per year. Currently there are 238,000 child workers in Nicaragua. This is what emerges from the data released by the Federation of Organisations for Local Development. These are alarming figures, minors who are exploited instead of going to school, work up to 18 hours a day in the fields, factories, private homes, and even victims of sexual abuse. These children have no social or medical assistance, nor have holiday breaks. The departments that make greater use of child laborers are those of Jinotega and Matagalpa, in particular during the coffee harvest, while in the department of León they are exploited in the fields. The phenomenon is aggravated by the unemployment of parents who in turn force children to contribute to the family economy. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 08/10/2013)
- 2015-11-18 - Bishops meeting: Bring the Gospel to those who use "the digital world"
- 2015-10-28 - The anti-interoceanic canal march suspended, but the population still opposes
- 2015-10-19 - Mining activity in Rancho Grande is "not feasible": listen to the people and the Church
- 2015-10-12 - The Church ready to mediate in the mine issue, "no one has to die for this"
- 2015-10-08 - Clashes between police and protesters, the Church is the only intermediary
- 2015-10-07 - The support of Cardinal Brenes: "Punish those who exploit the naivety of the poor"
- 2015-09-18 - Bishops of Bluefields: "We cannot share the violence among poor peasants and indigenous"
- 2015-09-14 - Families fleeing and still clashes in Waspam, request of a Truth Commission
- 2015-09-10 - Clashes over land concern the Bishops of Bluefields: "there will be no solution if there is violence"
- 2015-07-16 - Nearly two million Central American children are undernourished