AMERICA/MEXICO - "Mexicali without hunger": campaign to assist 1,500 families
Mexicali (Agenzia Fides) – His Exc. Mgr. José Isidro Guerrero Macias, Bishop of the Diocese of Mexicali (Baja California, Mexico), invited the community to join the campaign "Mexicali without hunger". The initiative, coordinated by the Autonomous University of Baja California, with the direct collaboration of the Bank of Mexicali and the Catholic Church, consists in the collection of non-perishable food which will then be distributed under the leadership of Caritas. "Caritas has as its primary aim to meet the urgent needs of those who have little, and sometimes nothing" said Mgr. Guerrero during the press conference with regards to the presentation of the initiative.
The note sent to Fides Agency also reports that the Bishop urged the community to mobilize in order to reach a precise goal: 80 tons of food to assist 1,500 families in the area of Mexicali. Last year, in the same campaign, 1,800 pupils from the Autonomous University of Baja California managed to collect 65 tons of food. This year, the passage of storms in the area (see Fides 19/09/2013) has left many families in serious economic difficulty. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/10/2013)
- 2015-11-18 - AMERICA/MEXICO – The missing priest's body found, he had been set on fire
- 2015-11-17 - Parish priest in Cook has been missing for days
- 2015-11-16 - The child martyrs of Tlaxcala: martyrs of all Latin America
- 2015-11-12 - Minors not allowed to work in the sugarcane fields
- 2015-11-10 - A battlefield where migrants suffer, are attacked, die
- 2015-11-06 - Mgr. Arizmendi inaugurates a house of the migrant in Tuxtla Gutierrez
- 2015-11-05 - Bishops' appeal for peace: "Dialogue with everyone, even with organized crime"
- 2015-11-03 - For the first time in Mexican history a Pope's encyclical will be presented in the Senate
- 2015-10-27 - “Drugs are drugs even when sold as medicines”: the Catholic stance
- 2015-10-27 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Children in mining areas risk lead poisoning