AMERICA/MEXICO - "Mexicali without hunger": campaign to assist 1,500 families
Mexicali (Agenzia Fides) – His Exc. Mgr. José Isidro Guerrero Macias, Bishop of the Diocese of Mexicali (Baja California, Mexico), invited the community to join the campaign "Mexicali without hunger". The initiative, coordinated by the Autonomous University of Baja California, with the direct collaboration of the Bank of Mexicali and the Catholic Church, consists in the collection of non-perishable food which will then be distributed under the leadership of Caritas. "Caritas has as its primary aim to meet the urgent needs of those who have little, and sometimes nothing" said Mgr. Guerrero during the press conference with regards to the presentation of the initiative.
The note sent to Fides Agency also reports that the Bishop urged the community to mobilize in order to reach a precise goal: 80 tons of food to assist 1,500 families in the area of Mexicali. Last year, in the same campaign, 1,800 pupils from the Autonomous University of Baja California managed to collect 65 tons of food. This year, the passage of storms in the area (see Fides 19/09/2013) has left many families in serious economic difficulty. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/10/2013)
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"
- 2014-10-21 - When you do not respect the right of even one person, it jeopardizes the right of all
- 2014-10-21 - 2000 children have been killed or maimed between 2006 and 2014
- 2014-10-15 - "Never accept violence as a solution", warns Mgr. Lona Reyes who proposes a prayer campaign
- 2014-10-14 - Bishops on the Iguala case: "clarify what happened, the truth is the path to justice"
- 2014-10-10 - The tragedy of Iguala and its consequences: a letter from the Archbishop of Acapulco
- 2014-10-09 - Corrupt policemen and climate of mistrust, the Bishop of La Paz denounces the silence of the authorities
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction
- 2014-09-24 - Priest found dead in the river Balsas
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"