AMERICA/MEXICO - "Mexicali without hunger": campaign to assist 1,500 families
Mexicali (Agenzia Fides) – His Exc. Mgr. José Isidro Guerrero Macias, Bishop of the Diocese of Mexicali (Baja California, Mexico), invited the community to join the campaign "Mexicali without hunger". The initiative, coordinated by the Autonomous University of Baja California, with the direct collaboration of the Bank of Mexicali and the Catholic Church, consists in the collection of non-perishable food which will then be distributed under the leadership of Caritas. "Caritas has as its primary aim to meet the urgent needs of those who have little, and sometimes nothing" said Mgr. Guerrero during the press conference with regards to the presentation of the initiative.
The note sent to Fides Agency also reports that the Bishop urged the community to mobilize in order to reach a precise goal: 80 tons of food to assist 1,500 families in the area of Mexicali. Last year, in the same campaign, 1,800 pupils from the Autonomous University of Baja California managed to collect 65 tons of food. This year, the passage of storms in the area (see Fides 19/09/2013) has left many families in serious economic difficulty. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/10/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - Tension in the area of Veracruz due to the work of the hydroelectric power plant
- 2014-04-09 - Six out of 10 children live in poverty, laws are being studied to respect the rights of children
- 2014-04-04 - All involved in finding different mechanisms to put an end to violence
- 2014-03-31 - Mgr. Calzada Guerrero’s appeal:The killings in Oaxaca are a strong wake-up call
- 2014-03-28 - The Bishops: stop with threats! The problem in the area of Veracruz can be resolved through dialogue
- 2014-03-24 - Mgr. Pierre for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Veracruz: "Re-launch evangelization"
- 2014-03-15 - The complaint of a Bishop: "Corruption strangles bean farmers"
- 2014-03-14 - How to respond to the challenges of the American continent
- 2014-03-05 - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement