AMERICA/MEXICO - "Mexicali without hunger": campaign to assist 1,500 families
Mexicali (Agenzia Fides) – His Exc. Mgr. José Isidro Guerrero Macias, Bishop of the Diocese of Mexicali (Baja California, Mexico), invited the community to join the campaign "Mexicali without hunger". The initiative, coordinated by the Autonomous University of Baja California, with the direct collaboration of the Bank of Mexicali and the Catholic Church, consists in the collection of non-perishable food which will then be distributed under the leadership of Caritas. "Caritas has as its primary aim to meet the urgent needs of those who have little, and sometimes nothing" said Mgr. Guerrero during the press conference with regards to the presentation of the initiative.
The note sent to Fides Agency also reports that the Bishop urged the community to mobilize in order to reach a precise goal: 80 tons of food to assist 1,500 families in the area of Mexicali. Last year, in the same campaign, 1,800 pupils from the Autonomous University of Baja California managed to collect 65 tons of food. This year, the passage of storms in the area (see Fides 19/09/2013) has left many families in serious economic difficulty. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/10/2013)
- 2014-12-15 - The Church reminds authorities that they even have to respond to the law for their actions
- 2014-12-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Conclusion of the 10th "Caravan of hope": 9 missing migrants found
- 2014-12-10 - The Church close to the families of the missing students and engaged in proposing solutions
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – After14 years ordination of 9 Indigenous permanent deacons
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Young man dies to obtain justice
- 2014-12-06 - Bishop of Torreón calls for “more proposals and less protests to achieve peace”
- 2014-12-03 - Bishop Alba: "We cannot allow criminals steal our streets, steal our peace"
- 2014-11-29 - After improvised lessons in the street, minors are forced to bring chairs in a house used as a school every day
- 2014-11-29 - Students missing: "The authorities must clarify the situation", said the Bishop of Tlaxcala
- 2014-11-28 - From the first Sunday of Advent: Twelve Days of Prayer for Peace