AMERICA/MEXICO - "Mexicali without hunger": campaign to assist 1,500 families
Mexicali (Agenzia Fides) – His Exc. Mgr. José Isidro Guerrero Macias, Bishop of the Diocese of Mexicali (Baja California, Mexico), invited the community to join the campaign "Mexicali without hunger". The initiative, coordinated by the Autonomous University of Baja California, with the direct collaboration of the Bank of Mexicali and the Catholic Church, consists in the collection of non-perishable food which will then be distributed under the leadership of Caritas. "Caritas has as its primary aim to meet the urgent needs of those who have little, and sometimes nothing" said Mgr. Guerrero during the press conference with regards to the presentation of the initiative.
The note sent to Fides Agency also reports that the Bishop urged the community to mobilize in order to reach a precise goal: 80 tons of food to assist 1,500 families in the area of Mexicali. Last year, in the same campaign, 1,800 pupils from the Autonomous University of Baja California managed to collect 65 tons of food. This year, the passage of storms in the area (see Fides 19/09/2013) has left many families in serious economic difficulty. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/10/2013)
- 2014-07-31 - The Bishops: "Family Reunification for immigrant children"
- 2014-07-31 - Major epidemiological control towards the chikungunya virus
- 2014-07-30 - Prisons become "universities of crime": the Church insists on re-education
- 2014-07-28 - Over five thousand people march for peace and for life
- 2014-07-15 - The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion
- 2014-07-15 - Bishop Aguilar’s appeal : "Migrant children are not intruders or invaders"
- 2014-07-14 - Cardinal Parolin, Vatican's Secretary of State, in Mexico for the emergency regarding emigration
- 2014-07-11 - The Central American Church's commitment to eradicate the causes of child emigration
- 2014-07-07 - More than 8 million indigenous women suffer physical and moral violence
- 2014-07-04 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Inauguration of a reception center, but the issue on migrants should be resolved at the root