AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - Eight children have disappeared from Nosy Be
Antananarivo (Agenzia Fides) - There are eight children who have disappeared in recent months from Nosy Be, an island in Madagascar where three people (one French, one Italian and one Malagasy) were tortured and killed by the people after the discovery of the mutilated body of a child (see Fides 04/10/2013 ) . This was reported to Fides Agency by Fr. Luca Treglia Director of Radio Don Bosco in Antananarivo. "The mutilated bodies of the three children were found but we do not know what happened to the others", says Fr. Luca.
As for the murder of the three people, the investigation is still in progress". About thirty people have been arrested in connection with the killings, while the tension in Nosy Be has calmed down. On Saturday, October 5th a rite of reconciliation was held, according to the local custom, among the population and the police", says Fr. Luca. "This is because it all started when the police released a suspect who at first was believed to be involved in the child's death. A decision that aroused the anger of the people who attacked the police, who responded by killing two people and wounding several others. At that point the fury of the mob was directed on the three victims who, at the moment, we do not know whether they were involved or not in the child's death", continued the Director of Radio Don Bosco.
"What is behind the disappearance of these children is not yet clear, but it appears to be connected to some form of macabre ritual", concluded Fr. Luca. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/10/2013)
- 2014-01-17 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - Hery Rajaonarimampianina is the new Head of State
- 2013-12-21 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - 5 million people exposed to plague
- 2013-11-21 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - The Bishops: "heal the wounds caused by the political crisis"
- 2013-10-10 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - In the wake of the cyclone Haruna
- 2013-10-07 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - Eight children have disappeared from Nosy Be
- 2013-10-04 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - Still tension in Nosy Be after the killing of three people accused of having killed and mutilated a child
- 2013-07-05 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - Agreement for the participation of former President Ravalomanana at the next meeting of reconciliation
- 2013-05-02 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - Food insecurity opens the door to tuberculosis
- 2013-04-18 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - National dialogue mediated by the Ecumenical Council of Christian Churches begins
- 2013-03-05 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - One person was killed in a demonstration against the alleged killers of Sister Marie Emmanuel