ASIA/CAMBODIA - Southeast Asia hit by typhoons, torrential rains, floods
Phnom Penh (Agenzia Fides) - The torrential rains that have isolated the various Countries of Southeast Asia have caused the death of 96 people and affected about 3 million inhabitants. According to the International Red Cross, 10,000 people have been forced to flee their homes and seek shelter in centers. In Cambodia, floods have already caused 50 deaths, injured 374,000 people, 65,000 housing, infrastructure and schools. Thousands of students are not able to go to school, especially after the recent overflowing of rivers. According to the National Commission for the Management of Natural Disasters those most affected are at least 513 schools in the six provinces of the Country. Due to climatic conditions, not all students were able to start the new school year. The government of Phnom Penh continuously monitors water levels, for potential threats in the city that already has serious drainage problems. Some of the inhabitants of the affected areas can only move on boats, in the province of Kandal activities were initiated to improve water drainage and prevent further erosion that could endanger the surrounding communities. In Laos the heaviest flooding in the last 35 years was recorded that caused 20 deaths and injured 350,000 people who are without basic necessities such as food, water and medicine. In Vietnam, more than 100,000 people from four provinces of the country have just suffered the passage of the typhoon Wutip that caused the death of 24 people. In Thailand, the opening of many manholes to facilitate the flow of water and avoid greater risks, has flooded 8,000 people in 29 different provinces, affecting 2 million and 100 thousand people and 22 deaths. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 04/10/2013)
- 2015-11-23 - The Jubilee of Mercy in the name of the martyrs and the last of society
- 2015-10-01 - Parents involved in preparing meals in school canteens
- 2015-09-17 - Forcible return for the Vietnamese "Montagnards"
- 2015-09-09 - Families forced to live in cemeteries where children play among the graves
- 2015-09-02 - ASIA/CAMBODIA – The First Youth Day in Cambodia and Laos
- 2015-07-06 - A new priest in the Church of Phnom Penh: vocations flourish
- 2015-06-18 - The Apostolic Vicar of Phnom Penh: "Martyrs teach us to love till the end"
- 2015-06-16 - The diocesan process of beatification of Cambodian martyrs begins
- 2014-10-11 - The Church of Phnom Penh launches the Year of Charity
- 2014-06-27 - The Society of Jesus welcomes the second cambodian Jesuit