ASIA/INDIA - Christian Churches and Pastors are being targeted in Karnataka
Bangalore (Agenzia Fides) - There has been a surge in anti-Christian attacks in the state of Karnataka: as reported to Fides Agency by the "Evangelical Fellowship of India", which brings together thousands of evangelical Christian communities, the prayer meetings of ecclesial communities over the last two months have been targeted, Pastors beaten and Christians arrested.
In recent episodes, Hindu fundamentalists attacked and looted a Church in Mandya district in Karnataka. Pastor Ramesh Salomon 32 years-of-age, who for eight years led a community of 150 believers, visiting about 60 villages in the district, was attacked on September 28 while praying in church with the community. About 20 Hindu radicals, suddenly plunged, threatened and insulted the faithful, began to destroy and devastate everything.
Also on 28 September, the home of Pastor Aneef, 34, was set on fire during the night by Hindu extremists who question the use of a house for Christian prayer.
The Pastor and his family were saved by a miracle.
On September 29, Pastor Hemachandra Hebal, 39, was attacked by Hindu radicals who pushed him and the faithful outside the church where they were celebrating a liturgy, beating them and accusing them of forced conversions. The Pastor and his wife were later arrested by the police who forced them to sign a declaration which said they would stop the preaching of the Christian faith.
In recent weeks Fides Agency had already reported several cases of anti-Christian violence in Karnataka (see Fides 3 and 5/9/2013) but also reported the trust of the faithful in a change of the situation (see Fides 14/09/2013). (PA) (Agenzia Fides 04/10/2013)
- 2015-09-02 - Bishops of Orissa establish "Martyrs Day"
- 2015-09-01 - Interreligious prayer on the Day of Creation
- 2015-08-31 - In Orissa the Day of Remembrance for the victims of anti-Christian massacres
- 2015-08-29 - The Franciscans in India: an hour of Adoration for the Day of Creation
- 2015-08-28 - India is polio-free: thanks to the collaboration between State and Church
- 2015-08-26 - Census on religions: Muslims increas, Christians stable
- 2015-08-25 - "No more violence": anniversary of anti-Christian massacres in Orissa
- 2015-08-24 - A Christian Forum urges the Government of Orissa to protect Christians
- 2015-08-21 - The Daughters of Mary Help of Christians open a new convent in the state of Orissa
- 2015-08-04 - ASIA/INDIA – Over half a million children engaged in risky work in cotton fields