AFRICA - Lampedusa : "To fight against traffickers and help migrant Countries" proposes Mgr.Bertin
Rome (Agenzia Fides) – To put human trafficking organizations under control and help the social, political and economic development of migrant Countries. These are the proposals made in an interview with Fides, by Mgr. Giorgio Bertin, Bishop of Djibouti and Apostolic Administrator of Mogadishu, to prevent the recurrence of tragedies such as that which occurred off the coast of Lampedusa, where it is feared that at least 300 migrants have died in the overthrow of a boat. Most of these people came from the Horn of Africa, especially from Somalia and Eritre, and died while trying to reach the Italian coast.
"I chose to come to these Countries as a missionary, and I realized that the true answer to these tragedies is not in the Mediterranean Sea or the Gulf of Aden, but to face the economic, political and cultural problems of these migrant Countries. It is clear that efforts are needed in a long period of time but at the same time it seems clear that this is the speech to be addressed", said Mgr. Bertin .
The Bishop of Djibouti adds that "organizations of human traffickers, which attract potential migrants and refugees should be put under immediate control. Migrants have their illusion of finding the earthly paradise in Yemen, in Italy or in Europe , which is not true . An illusion which is encouraged by the organization of traffickers who embark these people on extremely dangerous means of transport".
"So in the long term we must not desist from the effort to support migrant Countries at a political, economic and cultural level. It is not just an economic issue: we need to encourage the development of respect for human rights in these Countries because migrants also aspire to this. And this is the true answer to the problem", stresses Mgr.Bertin. "In the short term one should immediately try to put under control human trafficking organizations, which are a real plague and are responsible for so many deaths", the Bishop concluded. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 04/10/2013)
- 2015-03-26 - Rome -Caritas meeting: A million displaced persons and refugees fleeing Boko Haram
- 2015-03-18 - AFRICA – One out of 5 people with Ebola is a child
- 2015-03-14 - "Africa, a continent on the move", Africa is always more part of the global village
- 2015-03-02 - "Do not lose hope aroused by the Arab Spring", say the Bishops of North Africa
- 2015-01-08 - The Holy See expresses gratitude to local Churches in Africa fighting Ebola
- 2014-12-12 - The anti-terrorism laws cause concern for the respect of human rights and democracy
- 2014-11-29 - Flexibility in health systems and community approach that adapts to the daily realities of HIV-positive people
- 2014-10-10 - The campaign "Let us turn over a new leaf, for democratic change in Africa" has been launched
- 2014-09-25 - Ebola and witchcraft: children accused of causing the spread of the virus
- 2014-06-25 - Ebola in West Africa: massive deployment of resources needed