ASIA/HOLY LAND - Solidarity visit of the Heads of Churches to the Mosque of al-Aqsa
Jerusalem (Agenzia Fides) - A delegation of senior representatives of the Christian Churches of Jerusalem carried out a visit to the Mosque of Al-Aqsa on Monday, September 30th to publicly express their solidarity with the local Muslim community after the recent provocative actions staged by Jewish settlers near the third Holy Site of Islam. There was also the Catholic Bishop William Shomali (Patriarchal Vicar of the Latin Patriarchate), Anglican Bishop Suheil Dawani and the Armenian Patriarchal Vicar Joseph Kelekian. The delegation – refer sources of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem - was welcomed by Mufti Muhammad Hussein and by the Sheikh Kamal al-Khatib. The Christian and Muslim leaders also signed a joint declaration to denounce the violations against the Mosque and to express alarm before the estate planning processes that jeopardize the plural profile of the Holy City.
On 12 September, the Israeli minister Uri Ariel along with dozens of militants of the settler movement staged a demonstration. In recent weeks there have been clashes between militants of the nationalist right-wing and religious Jewish - who dream of rebuilding the Temple of Jerusalem –and Palestinians and Muslims. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 01/10/2013)
- 2014-08-06 - In Gaza a child dies every hour. There is no electricity, water and essential medical services
- 2014-08-06 - Appeal of the Patriarch of Jerusalem to Aid to the Church in Need for the victims of Gaza
- 2014-08-01 - The Patriarch of Jerusalem, Twal: the truce is not needed if Gaza remains a desperate prison
- 2014-08-01 - Prayers and fasting for peace in Gaza and throughout the Middle East
- 2014-08-01 - The Forgiveness of Assisi dedicated to peace in the Middle East
- 2014-07-29 - Bombing near the Catholic parish in Gaza. School devastated
- 2014-07-24 - Caritas Jerusalem rescues thousands of Muslims, who have taken shelter in schools and churches in Gaza
- 2014-07-22 - Patriarch Emeritus Sabbah: there is no war in Gaza, but a useless massacre
- 2014-07-18 - The Israeli army enters Gaza. Pope's message to the local Catholic community
- 2014-07-17 - Gaza, three missiles close to the Catholic parish. Scuffle to look for food during the "humanitarian truce"