ASIA/HOLY LAND - Solidarity visit of the Heads of Churches to the Mosque of al-Aqsa
Jerusalem (Agenzia Fides) - A delegation of senior representatives of the Christian Churches of Jerusalem carried out a visit to the Mosque of Al-Aqsa on Monday, September 30th to publicly express their solidarity with the local Muslim community after the recent provocative actions staged by Jewish settlers near the third Holy Site of Islam. There was also the Catholic Bishop William Shomali (Patriarchal Vicar of the Latin Patriarchate), Anglican Bishop Suheil Dawani and the Armenian Patriarchal Vicar Joseph Kelekian. The delegation – refer sources of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem - was welcomed by Mufti Muhammad Hussein and by the Sheikh Kamal al-Khatib. The Christian and Muslim leaders also signed a joint declaration to denounce the violations against the Mosque and to express alarm before the estate planning processes that jeopardize the plural profile of the Holy City.
On 12 September, the Israeli minister Uri Ariel along with dozens of militants of the settler movement staged a demonstration. In recent weeks there have been clashes between militants of the nationalist right-wing and religious Jewish - who dream of rebuilding the Temple of Jerusalem –and Palestinians and Muslims. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 01/10/2013)
- 2015-01-14 - The Bishops' Holy Land Coordination visit the Cremisan Valley
- 2015-01-12 - International Delegation of Bishops visit Gaza; for Archbishop Fontana "a devastated situation"
- 2015-01-07 - International Delegation of Bishops to visit Gaza
- 2014-12-22 - Patriarch Twal visits Gaza: "today for many refugee children it would be a luxury to live in the grotto where Jesus was born"
- 2014-12-18 - Christmas Message of His Beatitude Patriarch Twal: tragedies and hopes of a difficult year
- 2014-12-02 - Cremisan case: Palestinian mayors and Catholic organizations reject the alternatives proposed by the Israeli government
- 2014-11-21 - Children without citizenship: the question of Palestinian children not registered reopens
- 2014-11-20 - Thousands of children from Gaza are disabled because of wars
- 2014-11-19 - Representatives of all religions visit the synagogue attacked. Patriarch Twal: No more violence in places of worship
- 2014-11-18 - Latin Patriarch Twal after the attack against the synagogue in Jerusalem: stop the endless spiral of revenge