ASIA/HOLY LAND - Solidarity visit of the Heads of Churches to the Mosque of al-Aqsa
Jerusalem (Agenzia Fides) - A delegation of senior representatives of the Christian Churches of Jerusalem carried out a visit to the Mosque of Al-Aqsa on Monday, September 30th to publicly express their solidarity with the local Muslim community after the recent provocative actions staged by Jewish settlers near the third Holy Site of Islam. There was also the Catholic Bishop William Shomali (Patriarchal Vicar of the Latin Patriarchate), Anglican Bishop Suheil Dawani and the Armenian Patriarchal Vicar Joseph Kelekian. The delegation – refer sources of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem - was welcomed by Mufti Muhammad Hussein and by the Sheikh Kamal al-Khatib. The Christian and Muslim leaders also signed a joint declaration to denounce the violations against the Mosque and to express alarm before the estate planning processes that jeopardize the plural profile of the Holy City.
On 12 September, the Israeli minister Uri Ariel along with dozens of militants of the settler movement staged a demonstration. In recent weeks there have been clashes between militants of the nationalist right-wing and religious Jewish - who dream of rebuilding the Temple of Jerusalem –and Palestinians and Muslims. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 01/10/2013)
- 2015-11-21 - Caritas Jerusalem: "collective punishment" of the Palestinians must cease
- 2015-11-16 - The Catholic Bishops: fight terrorism without "duplicity"
- 2015-11-05 - The Catholic Bishops: more confessors in the Shrines for the Holy Year of Mercy
- 2015-10-30 - Pilgrims visit Holy Land, despite the violence
- 2015-10-21 - Olive harvest has begun in Gethsemane
- 2015-10-20 - Violence in Jerusalem, the Christian Youth of Palestine announces a prayer vigil for peace
- 2015-10-19 - Patriarch Twal: the "wall of Jerusalem" disfigures the face of the Holy City
- 2015-10-16 - Caritas Jerusalem: pilgrimages cancelled due to the blocks in the neighborhoods of the Holy City
- 2015-10-15 - Religious leaders and Shimon Peres against sectarian violence
- 2015-10-14 - The Director of Caritas Jerusalem: the block of East Jerusalem feeds anger and feelings of revenge