AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The mission of Our Lady of Fatima in Bouar ransacked
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - An Italian missionary and a Central African deacon are the latest victims of the rebels Seleka. "On September 28, Fr. Beniamino Gusmeroli, an Italian missionary fromValtellina, and Fr. Martial Mengue, a Central African deacon were at the mercy of the rebels Seleka for three hours, who gagged and threatened to kill the guard and entered the house armed with Kalashnikovs", says a statement sent to Fides Agency by the Congregation of the Sacred Heart of Jesus of Bétharram to which the two religious belong.
The incident took place in the mission of Our Lady of Fatima in Bouar (in the northwest of the Central African Republic). "This is the second mission of the diocese which gets damaged in a week during the night", said Fr. Gusmeroli, who reports what happened: "We are talking about a group of 5 men who were armed to their teeth, foreigners, of Sudanese origin, capable of saying a few words in French and Sango"
"They gagged and tied Fr. Martial and headed towards Fr. Benjamin’s room, where they began to raid everything they found".
"Given the attempts of resistance on behalf of Fr. Benjamin, they also bound and gagged him and were able to put everything upside down and steal money, computer, camera, mobile and everything that interested them".
"Fr. Martial was taken hostage - released then a little later".
"Again this is another act of arrogance and looting carried out by the rebels, now uncontrolled and uncontrollable by the authorities. This is the umpteenth sign of how the situation is deteriorating if there is no decisive intervention on behalf of the international community", the statement concluded. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 30/09/2013)
- 2014-07-17 - Civil society presents a scheme to lead the country out of the crisis
- 2014-07-11 - "Immediate start of the process of disarmament to ensure safety" ask religious leaders and politicians
- 2014-07-09 - 17 people who sought refuge in the area of the Cathedral in Bambari have been killed
- 2014-07-08 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – The Cathedral in Bambari besieged by rebels
- 2014-07-01 - Twelve thousand refugees in the Cathedral of Bambari, the Bishop's appeal to Fides
- 2014-06-30 - "Civil society organizes itself, but authorities do not always help", says a missionary
- 2014-06-12 - The Archbishop of Bangui brings aid to 600 Muslims fleeing violence
- 2014-06-04 - New attacks against medical facilities and teams who work in Ndélé
- 2014-05-30 - The attack on Our Lady of Fatima parish in which a priest was killed was carried out by foreigners
- 2014-05-12 - "We are in an open-pit prison held hostage by violent people" denounce the Bishops