EUROPE/ITALY - In the footsteps of St. Camillus: the sick are architects and protagonists of evangelization
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - "To recover the originality of the St Camillus and his religious family, to present it again with renewed energy in the world today". This is how His Exc. Mgr. Zygmunt Zimowski, President of the Pontifical Council for the pastoral care for health care operators, describes the meaning of the pilgrimage that the Vatican dicastry will carry out on October 2 from Rome to Bucchianico (Chieti), the birthplace of the saint whose 400th anniversary since his death will be celebrated this year.
"To make a pilgrimage to the birthplace of one of the saints who gave impetus to the charism of charity and mercy towards the sick – adds Mgr. Zimowski in the note sent to Fides Agency - means for the Pontifical Council for health care operators that the commitment to evangelize in this specific area of pastoral care has never finished. In addition, to retrace the historic steps that marked St. Camillus himself before conversion and then throughout his life, from the mystery of pain, is a reminder not to limit the pastoral action to offering consolation and professional support to the sick, but to recognize them as architects and protagonists of evangelization, as witnessed by a young camillian, the venerable Nicola D'Onofrio, buried in the sanctuary of Bucchianico".
Founded in the late 1500's by St. Camillus de Lellis, the Camilliani (Ministers of the Infirm) are now present in 35 countries and through the Camillian Task Force (CTF), intervene in areas most at risk and on the occasion of natural disasters. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 27/09/2013)
- 2015-04-13 - 150 years after the delivery of the image of Our Lady of Perpetual Help to the Redemptorists
- 2015-03-24 - Permanent Council of Cei: moment of prayer for martyrs, missionaries and lay people
- 2015-03-23 - Day of Missionary Martyrs: 1,062 missionaries killed in the world from 1980 to 2014
- 2015-03-16 - Cardinal Filoni: Africa needs encouragement and solidarity, not migration, or the purchase of weapons and looting
- 2015-01-23 - Scalabrini Missionaries open a community in Syracuse to welcome migrants
- 2014-12-10 - EUROPE/ITALY – NGO together for the rights of people with disabilities
- 2014-11-19 - National Missionary Conference: to rekindle the fire of the mission ad gentes
- 2014-11-10 - The number of Nigerian women destined for sexual slavery has tripled
- 2014-10-27 - EUROPE/ITALY – The "challenge of charity" for many "outlawed poor people" of our times
- 2014-10-03 - A year ago, the tragedy in the Mediterranean Sea, memory and heritage