AFRICA/MALAWI - Conclusion of the 13th Plenary Assembly of the Biblical Centre for Africa and Madagascar
Lilongwe (Agenzia Fides) – To put the Bible at the center of pastoral activities of the Church in Africa. This was the subject of discussion of the 13th Plenary Assembly of the Biblical Centre for Africa and Madagascar (BICAM), held from September 17 to 23 at the Major Seminary of Kachebere, in Lilongwe in Malawi.
According to the final communiqué sent to Fides Agency, the 75 delegates, inter alia, observed that "the Biblical Apostolate is an effective means against the invasion of sects and the incorrect interpretation of the Bible but is not yet fully developed in various Countries of the continent". The document also states that "the spread of political Islam, fundamentalism and bad governance are a threat to Christian practices".
The biblical formation of lay people (professionals, families, women and youth), the promotion of biblical formation of associations is recommended, even through the use of modern technology in order "to teach the Word of God by capturing the interest of young people".
Among the operating modes, what is suggested is to establish specific periods of biblical formation (Biblical Week, etc. ..) and a stronger coordination between the African Catholic publishing houses for the dissemination of the Bible and exegetical material. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/09/2013)
- 2014-04-03 - Montfort Media and Luntha TV: two important missionary voices
- 2014-02-06 - Valentine's Day: occasion to raise funds for the 18th Plenary Assembly of AMECEA
- 2013-11-23 - Corruption Scandal: "Speedy prosecutions to regain the trust of donors" asks the Church
- 2013-09-26 - Conclusion of the 13th Plenary Assembly of the Biblical Centre for Africa and Madagascar
- 2013-08-13 - AMECEA: Plenary Assembly 2014 in Lilongwe
- 2013-02-25 - Rich 20% of population silent to plight of 80% poor
- 2013-01-30 - Funding for AIDS drugs have halved while the Country must cope with flood damage
- 2013-01-16 - There is lack of food, water and health care for the people affected by the floods
- 2012-12-03 - New food crisis in Malawi, denounces a missionary
- 2012-09-26 - The Plenary Assembly of Bishops has begun: Year of Faith and Africae Munus are the focus of the Assembly