AFRICA/MALAWI - Conclusion of the 13th Plenary Assembly of the Biblical Centre for Africa and Madagascar
Lilongwe (Agenzia Fides) – To put the Bible at the center of pastoral activities of the Church in Africa. This was the subject of discussion of the 13th Plenary Assembly of the Biblical Centre for Africa and Madagascar (BICAM), held from September 17 to 23 at the Major Seminary of Kachebere, in Lilongwe in Malawi.
According to the final communiqué sent to Fides Agency, the 75 delegates, inter alia, observed that "the Biblical Apostolate is an effective means against the invasion of sects and the incorrect interpretation of the Bible but is not yet fully developed in various Countries of the continent". The document also states that "the spread of political Islam, fundamentalism and bad governance are a threat to Christian practices".
The biblical formation of lay people (professionals, families, women and youth), the promotion of biblical formation of associations is recommended, even through the use of modern technology in order "to teach the Word of God by capturing the interest of young people".
Among the operating modes, what is suggested is to establish specific periods of biblical formation (Biblical Week, etc. ..) and a stronger coordination between the African Catholic publishing houses for the dissemination of the Bible and exegetical material. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/09/2013)
- 2015-07-14 - "We will continue to be poor without a moral transformation", says the Archbishop of Blantyre
- 2015-06-19 - The government spends $ 145 million for a military contract while 400 are needed for flood victims
- 2015-05-29 - A "scary" financial law that aggravates the already difficult conditions of the population
- 2015-05-22 - "Justice and Peace": "The state budget has to give priority to flood victims"
- 2015-05-22 - The Sun Village: center of assistance and support for children in need
- 2015-04-22 - Malawians fleeing xenophobic violence in South Africa: "We were chased like dogs"
- 2015-04-01 - The hope of Easter in the poorest Country in the world
- 2015-03-17 - The Church assists 230,000 flood victims
- 2015-02-25 - Towards a more "human" prison system
- 2015-01-30 - The story of a missionary: Malawi on its knees due to the damage caused by cyclones