AFRICA/MALAWI - Conclusion of the 13th Plenary Assembly of the Biblical Centre for Africa and Madagascar
Lilongwe (Agenzia Fides) – To put the Bible at the center of pastoral activities of the Church in Africa. This was the subject of discussion of the 13th Plenary Assembly of the Biblical Centre for Africa and Madagascar (BICAM), held from September 17 to 23 at the Major Seminary of Kachebere, in Lilongwe in Malawi.
According to the final communiqué sent to Fides Agency, the 75 delegates, inter alia, observed that "the Biblical Apostolate is an effective means against the invasion of sects and the incorrect interpretation of the Bible but is not yet fully developed in various Countries of the continent". The document also states that "the spread of political Islam, fundamentalism and bad governance are a threat to Christian practices".
The biblical formation of lay people (professionals, families, women and youth), the promotion of biblical formation of associations is recommended, even through the use of modern technology in order "to teach the Word of God by capturing the interest of young people".
Among the operating modes, what is suggested is to establish specific periods of biblical formation (Biblical Week, etc. ..) and a stronger coordination between the African Catholic publishing houses for the dissemination of the Bible and exegetical material. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/09/2013)
- 2014-12-10 - Appeal of "Justice and Peace" to international donors: "Do not abandon us in time of need"
- 2014-12-06 - “Corruption scandal consequences ever more serious” missionary says
- 2014-12-03 - AFRICA/MALAWI – The dream of a nation free of the nightmare of AIDS
- 2014-11-12 - "People are dying due to lack of medicine, external aid blocked because of Cashgate": alarm launched by the President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2014-11-10 - "Without outside help the Country is collapsing", says a missionary
- 2014-09-23 - A "creative" finance act, while 640,000 people are at risk of hunger
- 2014-08-04 - The Bishops of Eastern Africa: "The threat to the family in our region is now more real than ever"
- 2014-07-16 - More than 250 Bishops from East Africa at the Assembly on new evangelization
- 2014-06-27 - Politics restarts a month after the election; "Transition towards normality is not easy", says a missionary
- 2014-05-31 - Malawi has a new President